Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: So you have to show cards to camera?

[ QUOTE ]
But lets say they do, and you aren't showing, they come and tell you they can't see your cards, you say okay, sorry. And then you keep not showing, what'll they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

As said before you may be disqualified from the event. If it is that important to you just don't enter, sound easy enough?

Jimbo
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 PM

I'm not entering, have no plans of entering, cannot enter due to age. Just curious.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 PM

The signed release form plus the rules posted by Harrahs (in the case of the WSOP) give them some latitude on what to do. Up to and including disqualifying you from the tournament.

Would they really DQ you? I don't know. I'm not aware of an incident where someone protested that much and absolutely refused to show.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 AM

from what i have read of others who have been in these situations, alot of times they will stop play if they repeatedly have problems seeing someone's hole cards through the monitor...and "coach" them on how to expose their cards so the camera's can see them
Old 06-11-2007, 10:18 AM

This thread is absurd.

boo hoo, I don't want people to see how I played 20 hands!!

redic.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 AM

so's your face.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:51 AM

good one.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the WPT Player Release Form, and you can see in the first clause that you agree to show your hole cards.

The WSOP release form doesn't seem to be available online, but it has a similar provision.

If you don't sign it you aren't allowed to enter in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for some concrete info.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM

im interested to know who sees what the camera sees while the play is running and what efforts are made to prevent these people from influencing the action
Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im interested to know who sees what the camera sees while the play is running and what efforts are made to prevent these people from influencing the action

[/ QUOTE ]

The producer that is watching the camera is offsite, in a production van, communicating with the camera men and Associate Producers (AP's) via radio. This radio is monitored by gaming officials to maintain that no information is given, even over the air. I work for a video production company, and have worked a couple tourneys in Biloxi and Tunica. The worst thing I ever heard on the radio was this: "Hey, I've had enough of this [censored] from that [censored] in [censored] seat 6! He's doing this [censored] on purpose! I can't see his cards." :"O.K, 1 sec" :"Thanks, that got it.. Tell 6 we're onto him, one more incident and I'm calling the TD! (Tournament Director)"

So to answer your question, the guy in the truck is monitored by a Gaming agent, who is listening to every radio transmission that goes on during the tournament, so technically, even if you snuck a scanner style radio in with the capabilities to listen to the radio contact between the producer watching the cards and the man on the floor running the camera crew, you'd still get no useful information. As an aside, the cards are changed more often than you may expect during final editing, particularly if you're watching the type of TV poker where they dont actually show the hole cards, only the graphic overlay on the screen. Also, its not entirely uncommon to take a reaction that occured after one hand and put it onto the ending of another hand. I'm not trying to ruin TV poker for anyone, just trying to relax the OP's concerns that too much of his game may be given away by the "hole-cam"

JJ