Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Ingenious Scams

in high school i had a gig selling hot dogs at cubs games, there was a $2.25 dog and a $3.00 one, so I would rip the tags off the box of the $2.25 one, and sell em for $3 a pop, sell maybe 350-400 a game so I made $300 in cash and no one said anything... actually the kid who thought up the scam now is a top 20 tourney player on teh internet.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was told this story last week by a couple from Philly who I met while waiting to board a plane.

A group is out to dinner at a restaurant. One of the ladies in the group goes to the bathroom, and puts her bag on the floor while she's peeing. Someone in the next stall steals the bag. When she realizes it she raises the alarm but the culprits have scarpered.

A few days later the victims get a call, this is John the Maitre 'D, we're so sorry, yada yada, we'd like to offer you a free dinner at a time and date of your choosing. They accept, set the date for next Thursday, and when they show up no-one at the restaurant knows anything about it.

Of course while they're at the restaurant their home is entered and they are cleaned out.

[/ QUOTE ]

now this is a solid scam.

I'm disappointed that Idi hasn't appeared - then again, he doesn't want to tap the glass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except it's not a scam, it's just theft and burglary.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM

I have a friend who buys DVD's for 5 bucks at Walmart. Then he cuts out the bar codes on the back, applies some sticky tape stuff to the bottom, then goes back into the Walmart days later, armed only with his sticky bar code from the 5 dollar DVD.

Then he picks up the Sopranos, or another expensive SEASON dvd set, and heads to the self checkout line. He simply puts the sticky 5$ bar code over the expensive sets one, and runs it over the machine. The machine realizes it's a DVD, and decodes the alarm tag, and he's out the door free and clear, basically paying 5 bucks for any DVD he wants. He does this several times a week.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:30 PM

I saw this phone scam in NYC during the early 90's.

This guy sets up one of those phone line where you pay up the wazoo per minute for "stock advice", or something.
He would send people around to offices posing as couriers trying to make a pickup. Of course, the office didn't have the package, so the courier would ask to use the phone to call his dispatcher to straighten it out.
The courier would then call the phone line they set up, and sit on "hold" for like 15-20 minutes, then announce that he made a mistake, apologized .. and left.
Leaving the company with a several hundred dollar tab.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw this phone scam in NYC during the early 90's.

This guy sets up one of those phone line where you pay up the wazoo per minute for "stock advice", or something.
He would send people around to offices posing as couriers trying to make a pickup. Of course, the office didn't have the package, so the courier would ask to use the phone to call his dispatcher to straighten it out.
The courier would then call the phone line they set up, and sit on "hold" for like 15-20 minutes, then announce that he made a mistake, apologized .. and left.
Leaving the company with a several hundred dollar tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn thats pretty good.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:11 AM

vig ftw.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:03 AM

Ive heard the phone scam and have always wanted to try it.

I used to run a small racket in school that didnt make me rich but I found it funny at the same time.

Every so often someone would come by and take all the expired food out of the vending machine and throw it in the trash. I would dig the food out of the trash and walk around selling it to people.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in high school i had a gig selling hot dogs at cubs games, there was a $2.25 dog and a $3.00 one, so I would rip the tags off the box of the $2.25 one, and sell em for $3 a pop, sell maybe 350-400 a game so I made $300 in cash and no one said anything... actually the kid who thought up the scam now is a top 20 tourney player on teh internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

terribad.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check the obituaries for deaths, rob house during the wake, this is farily common.

[/ QUOTE ]
My mom told me a story about this happening only one of the family members was waiting with a shotgun.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:49 AM

I did a scam on ebay 2 christmas seasons ago during the Xbox 360 release where I sold a few auctions for "BRAND NEW IN HAND XBOX 360 BOX FREESHIPPING"

Coupla people dished out $600+ and received a cardboard box