Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: $109 turbo: Shortstack bubble strategy

[ QUOTE ]
I mean you need to be pushing a lot with short stacks compared to blinds near the bubble. You don't want to get that short stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. That's the big question. I wonder what other opportunities you missed to allow yourself to be so short.

I raise allin with 44 everytime there. It may be time for you to reread HOH2. You need to figure they're only calling with a top 8% range: 88+,ATs+,KTs+,QJs,AJo+
I'm guessing you have a very tight image, so I imagine their real range is even tighter. But 8% and 3 players= 24% chance that you get called, meaning you win the blinds+antes 76% of the time, and win 40% of the time when you get called:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 60.616% 60.34% 00.28% 681895956 3140478.00 { 88+, ATs+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+ }
Hand 1: 39.384% 39.11% 00.28% 441943728 3140478.00 { 44 }

VERY EASY PUSH

edit: i just read the actual results...i'm shocked that he called with K5o...top 50% hand range. crazy. that just shows how wide the typical players range is there.
lessson- don't let yourself get that short.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A well deserved beat took me down to shortstack ... AK<AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly frustrated here, chaps, there are a shed load of situations where you are short on the bubble. My question is ... from the cut off with players who are calling 60%, what hands should you push? ie assume folding = +177, shove and lose = 0, shove and win = what? How much extra equity do I really gain doubling up from M of 1.x to M of 2.2x, and therefore what range is a push and what a fold?

Edit: His call is partly what prompts the question ... if a "good" player is calling that wide with M<2, surely my shoves should be v wide. But is he typical? Seems to be nowadays, when we all know how light we shove in this situation ... even so K5 is surely not right.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:54 AM

fwiw he was calling pretty loose most of the tourney, I wasn't impressed by the hands he was calling with even when he was getting 6, 8, and 10bb pushed into him.
you just need to keep yourself out of situations where your stack has no FE in these turbo tourneys, and not be a calling station with short stack pushes.