Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Cormac McCarthy Gives an Interview to Oprah

[ QUOTE ]
I liked The Road a lot (it's the only thing of his I've read), but the whole "reclusive author" thing is so played out. Get over yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was an author looking to get the whole "hermit" label, I know I'd book Oprah as my first step.

It'd be informative to see a post in this thread that criticized McCarthy for a legitimate reason, instead of, "ZOMG OPRAH~"
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Wasn't it Oprah that brought us this crime against humanity? To me, all the good things she's ever done are offset by this offense.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM

chiming in to say that I'm 1/3 through The Road and I am liking it much less than the other Cormac McCarthy I've read. IMO the level of the writing in Blood Meridian and in much of The Border Trilogy was the real thing, it was hilariously good.

The Road seems more accessible than those, but I think a typical Oprah book club devotee is still not going to like it. They would really not like Blood Meridian though, you would hear lots of "too gross," "too boring," "too confusing," "strange language."
Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Pretty disapointing interview. I don't watch Oprah much, but her questions were VERY superficial. She spent far too much time drawing out just how poor McCarthy was. It was a little embarassing.

Would it have been too much to ask him about the startling POV shift on pg. 74?

Still interesting to see him in person.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 PM

I like his books, but don't know much about the person. Is the dude poor?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM

Here is McCarthy's only previous interview. (Registration required.)

As for selling out, I didn't think No Country was as good as his earlier books, but the man seems to have spent much of his life eating rice and beans in rundown shacks and I can hardly blame him for finally doing what is normal for successful authors.

I'm excited about No Country but what I really want is for Terrence Malick to make Blood Meridian.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:07 PM

The thing about Oprah that everybody gets confused:

People shouldn't hate her for her influence.

They should hate (or judge, or something) people who allow her to have that great of an influence in their lives.

If I was famous, I'd tell you what to read too... hell, hopefully I sold a few tickets to Knocked Up or got somebody to guy a Brother Ali record just by posting on here.

It's people who let Oprah decide what they like, and what they read that I find a little suspect, especially when I'm not really sure what Oprah's qualifications are to hold this role in their lives.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chiming in to say that I'm 1/3 through The Road and I am liking it much less than the other Cormac McCarthy I've read. IMO the level of the writing in Blood Meridian and in much of The Border Trilogy was the real thing, it was hilariously good.

The Road seems more accessible than those, but I think a typical Oprah book club devotee is still not going to like it. They would really not like Blood Meridian though, you would hear lots of "too gross," "too boring," "too confusing," "strange language."

[/ QUOTE ]

The road is probably my least favorite book of his. that said, it is still quite good. a very quick read, just like No Country For Old Men. I read both of them in a day or two. His other books are much denser.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Amp - You did not just do that did you? Oprah? The Simpsons? Dude.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't view The Simpson's as being of higher quality than Oprah. I watch neither of them equally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not a pop culture apologist, and, uh, no offense, but...

WTF??!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about Oprah that everybody gets confused:

People shouldn't hate her for her influence.

They should hate (or judge, or something) people who allow her to have that great of an influence in their lives.

If I was famous, I'd tell you what to read too... hell, hopefully I sold a few tickets to Knocked Up or got somebody to guy a Brother Ali record just by posting on here.

It's people who let Oprah decide what they like, and what they read that I find a little suspect, especially when I'm not really sure what Oprah's qualifications are to hold this role in their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I watched the show today, and as an experiment as soon as she mentioned the book for summer (can't remember the name of it) I put it on hold at my public library. When I placed the hold I was the only person with a hold. In the 7 hours following the episode, 73 other people put it on hold.