Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: 100NL: limp/reraise with KK, villian pushes

In my past 40,000 hands at $100 NL FR, I haven't seen one person with a 95bb+ stack go all-in preflop without KK or AA. That's a very common misconception that people at smallstakes shove loose

At 2/4+ full stacks will sometimes shove a hand that loses to KK, at 1/2 and below people will almost never shove anything worse than KK

If you were really, really, really bullying the table, and especially if you'd limp-reraised preflop and won a hand like that earlier, or if you've taken a large pot off the villain recently, then I could see calling off 80% of your stack with KK

Otherwise I think your fold was good. Basically I think you need a very special reason to call off so much of your stack preflop without AA

Shoving KK preflop is a different story of course. It's just the calling off 80bb of a 95bb active stack part that gets you in trouble when you don't have AA

You need about 40% equity or more to make this call correct, so if AA is even 55% of his range then you're screwed. If he's 8-9 tabling and he's a regular player and you haven't been going completely nuts in recent history, my guesses about his range would be something like

AA: 75%
KK: 4%
QQ: 6%
AK: 14%
Other: 1%

I always get laughed at when I make posts like this, but only by the people who haven't played $100 NL in a really long time. Trust me, if the active stack is 95bb or more and he shoves all-in after having only invested 5bb, he's got AA better than 70% of the time
Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my past 40,000 hands at $100 NL FR, I haven't seen one person with a 95bb+ stack go all-in preflop without KK or AA

[/ QUOTE ]

lol bad memory obviously

what is your name on stars?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my past 40,000 hands at $100 NL FR, I haven't seen one person with a 95bb+ stack go all-in preflop without KK or AA. That's a very common misconception that people at smallstakes shove loose...

I always get laughed at when I make posts like this, but only by the people who haven't played $100 NL in a really long time. Trust me, if the active stack is 95bb or more and he shoves all-in after having only invested 5bb, he's got AA better than 70% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

I have over 10x as many hands as your sample at NL100 FR and I must say that, your wrong.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 AM

I meant SHOVE all-in preflop, I'm sorry

And only in hands that show up in my database with the went-to-showdown filter on, and yes I've called off and gone to showdown in that situation at least 90% of the time with KK

Every time I called off with worse than like 1 to 2.5 pot odds was a mistake imo, and there's not one case in my whole 40,000-hand $100 NL fullring database where the opponent has had more than 95bb and shoved preflop without KK or AA

I'm not somebody that only reraises premium hands preflop, either

Full stacks will sometimes call off all-in preflop with less than KK or AA, but if you give them a chance to flat call and see a flop without an all-in they always take it with less than KK/AA and even still generally take it with KK

Smaller stacks will obviously shove all kinds of stuff, but we're talking about full stacks here and this guy is only getting 3 to 2 on an all-in call

And don't forget, the villain here is an 8- or 9-tabling regular and the hero limp-reraised from early position... anybody with some experience will be thinking the hero is very very strong, and knowing that, this villain still shoved anyway.

Even forgetting the fact that people at these stakes don't shove full stacks all-in without KK or AA, the circumstances surrounding the villain's shove just SCREAM a very very strong holding.

Based on some stuff OP has said in this thread I do tend to think his image probably dictated a call, but somebody with a healthy image should fold this

He's got 30% equity at best. If he folds he loses $20 on the hand, if he calls he loses $40 on the hand. Might as well just fold the hand, go by a kamikaze on the rocks and take a $25 pull on a slot machine, that'd have about the same expectation as the difference between folding and calling, and you'd probably have more fun lol
Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 AM

at least selective memory.

I'm in there occasionally with AKo. I#ve seen others moving in with AJo. I've seen plenty with 22-99 either. And we are talking about 16 K hands at PL100 where people are nittier.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Itīs a easy fold. Offcorse he have AA when he push!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 AM

I think I'm just wording it in a confusing way

1. The active stack was 95bb or more
2. My opponent shoved all-in preflop
3. I called his all-in shove preflop
4. We were playing $100 NL on PokerStars
5. There were 7 or more players dealt into the hand

If all those questions are answered "true", in my 39,839-hand May database (37,273 of those hands having at least 7 players at the table), the opponent has never held anything but KK or AA

In this situation, I've called with AA 100% of the time, and during the sample I was of the mentality that you should never fold KK preflop and I can't remember ever folding it preflop, so I'm being modest and saying I called with KK 90%+ of the times I was holding it in this spot

There were roughly the same amount of hands for me to look through between AA and KK though, so the true value could be 100% calls with KK. If I did fold in this situation it couldn't have been more than once

I've double- and triple-checked, they've never held anything but KK or AA

Maybe there's an error in my searching method, my filter looks like

-between 7 and 10 players at table
-VPIP: Put money in
-Showdown: Went to showdown
-everything else is set to "doesn't matter" or defaults

Then I go through all of my PPs/AKo/AKs/AQo/AQs (the only hands I could possibly have called with in my gameplan) and I manually search through every hand that I've netted +$90 or more or -$90 or less, and every hand that's been a split pot

My PFR is 10.50%, my standard preflop reraise range against a full stack is 88/99/TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA/AK/AQ and I'll often do it with worse

So it's not like I'm especially tight with the reraises preflop

I don't know how you guys are playing or who you're playing against for your experience to be so much different from mine, but I swear they've never preflop-shoved 95bb+ with anything but KK or AA against me in 39,839 hands

It's not my memory I'm relying on (which is very good btw!), it's my PokerTracker database :P
Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 AM

hmmm, interesting.

How many hands qualified during your sample?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:07 AM

*grunch* Do you have stats for the villian. Doesn't really matter I suppose, I'm always calling this.....
Old 06-04-2007, 06:32 AM

I only have stats on him for 50 hands. VPIP is 12.24 and 8.16% PF raise.

What's the party line on posting a screenname for something like this?