Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: OT: Hit and Run vs. Protecting Win

I can't believe we got this far without anyone mentioning position. To me, the biggest consideration by far when I get a big stack is what position the other big stacks are in. If I have more than 3 BI and the only player who covers me is to my left, I'll almost always get up whereas having that player to my right will have me extending my sessions much longer.

The skill of the other big stacks and BR management should be considerations, but I have too much of an ego to worry about the first and I'm too much of a degen to worry about the second. I feel like I can outplay anyone with position and unless I have a ridiculous portion of my BR on the table, I usually don't worry about how deep I am wrt BR management.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe we got this far without anyone mentioning position. To me, the biggest consideration by far when I get a big stack is what position the other big stacks are in. If I have more than 3 BI and the only player who covers me is to my left, I'll almost always get up whereas having that player to my right will have me extending my sessions much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, although in 6max a lot of times I prefer bad players 1 or 2 to my left so I've got the button and they play too much in the blinds, especially for a raise.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:42 PM

I never understood why people get mad at hit and runners, or feel like there's an "ethical" obligation to stay for a while after winning a big pot. First, WTF, you can leave when you want. Second, and more importantly, most hit and runners are bad players taking a shot above their heads and I'm happy to have them at the table. If they feel "ethically" obligated to stick around when they double up, they may not sit in the first place. The exception is professional shortstack ratholer bots/semi-bots, who I think undermine the integrity of the game and I wish sites would do more to combat them -- but that has been discussed to death here already.

As for my own strategy, when my stack gets big I usually pick up if there's a half-way decent player with a big stack to my left, as that can be neg-e.v. even if that guy is considerably worse than me. Conversely, I'm inclined to stay if there's a big stack to my right, even if that player is better than me.