Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Default OT: Hit and Run vs. Protecting Win

I marked this off-topic because it sort of is. I got into an argument with a friend of mine over this, and wanted to hear what others think.

With a game that is as variance-heavy as Omaha, what do you think constitutes a hit and run versus protecting a win or are they the same thing?

I realize this is an issue that only online poker really presents, but let's say you run pretty hot on a table and are +3 buyins in a short period of time. How long until you think it's ethical to leave? Is it bad to limit your variance by not wanting to play deep stacked? I think at some point bankroll management has to supersede ego. I understand the argument that if you think you have an edge in the game you want to play as deep as possible, but that feels like a hold'em-centric theory.

Cliffnotes: In Omaha, is it bad to protect a big win or is it just another form of a hit and run?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: OT: Hit and Run vs. Protecting Win

[ QUOTE ]
How long until you think it's ethical to leave?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, it's perfectly ethical to pick up from a table at ANY time for any reason (including if you tripled up and want to protect your win).

Whether it's a good idea or bad idea to leave (i.e., whether picking up is +EV or -EV) is to me an utterly unrelated question, but I would think depend on your ability to play a deep stack, table composition, relative position to other deep stacks at the table, how winning or losing 3-4 buy-ins might affect you psychologically (and therefore how you'd play), etc.

I don't think anyone is under any kind of moral / ethical obligation to sit and play for a few laps if they are uncomfortable playing with multiple buy-ins. If picking up is not against a site's T&C, then I don't see an issue with it. Of course, I'm in the minority I'm sure in that while I find it annoying, I don't think it's unethical/cheating to rathole if a given poker site's software allows it.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:41 AM

Hit and run is different from protecting a win in that hit and run is something that you plan to do. E.g. if you plan to stick it allin with top set on flop and then leave if you've doubled up. Protecting a win is when youve done well, but notice a change in table dynamics that will hurt your winrate. If a donk has left, or if table has filled up and you like sh play. Online poker does not have much in the way of ethical considerations. Over the course of 50k hands, your short sessions will even out. The only downside for you is if you abandon a table of ppl that you play against often, in the future they may be more likely to leave your table after taking your buyin.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:13 AM

I love playing deepstack since you get to use all aspects of your game. I laugh when someone gets a big score at a table, then immediately leaves.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love playing deepstack since you get to use all aspects of your game. I cry when someone gets a big score at a table, then immediately leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 AM

Often when I double or tripple up it's 2 or 3 bad players who has given me their chips. I stay as long as they are at the table. Unless I'd have an insane run where I get something like 6 buy ins.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Well there's some Kelly Criterion issues here, i.e. if you've built your stack up to the point where you've got a considerable % of your roll on the table, at risk, you've got to leave. Personally, I'm happy having up to about 25% of my roll at the table (assuming I'm only in for 5%) for the chance that I can turn that into an even bigger score, at which point I probably would leave if my stack was at risk.

The other consideration is not ethics or morals but politeness. I personally get very angry when someone hit and runs me, whether it's for $50 or $1000. It's for this reason that I will very very rarely hit-and-run. For example, if I'm shortstacking a bigger table, I don't really see the point of doubling up from 10 or 20 big blinds and then leaving - I'm there to hit a big score and would be willing to do 50 or 60 big blinds in buyins for the sake of the chance for a big score ~ 200+ big blinds.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love playing deepstack since you get to use all aspects of your game. I cry when someone gets a big score at a table, then immediately leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

They are basically admitting* that they view me as a better player. WTF would I cry? I don't need the money for anything important - it's all part of the game.

Anger, crying, and emotion are leaks.

*Although online who knows, maybe they gotta go and that was their last hand anyways.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

They are basically admitting* that they view me as a better player. WTF would I cry? I don't need the money for anything important - it's all part of the game.

Anger, crying, and emotion are leaks.

*Although online who knows, maybe they gotta go and that was their last hand anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Anger, crying, and emotion are leaks" ROFL. Yeah I hate it when people just pick up and leave after they get a big win in a pot. If it's against me I would like them to play atleast another rotation or two so the money can stay on the table for a little longer so I can get a shot at it.

I know its their money and they can do whatever they want, I just feel it's bad etiquette and really isn't fair. Also I'm not a big fan of short stacks of hitting and running granted they are short stack scum.

I also agree with troll in that I think if you have a huge stack in PLO it just helps you soo much more.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
? Is it bad to limit your variance by not wanting to play deep stacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

a) no other big stacks then doesnt matter
b) big stacks good, then more inclined to leave
c) big stacks bad, then more inclined to stay