Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Diaw/Amare suspended 1 game, Horry suspended 2 games

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly have no idea how this thing has blown up in the way that it has other than casual fans have taken a liking to the Suns (for better or worse-- actually almost certainly for worse), come in, watch games, don't understand the dynamics of the game, the rules, and disciplinary measures the league has put into place, then whine

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas - I can only assume you did not actually watch tape of the "incident".

The reason everyone is so upset is because the gap between "correct-ness" and "fairness" is so egregious.

People want justice to be imparted fairly. The Commissioner's office is (supposedly) meant to act as an arbitrator. Like, you know, a judge in the court of law.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I would imagine there are instances where judges have shown more lenience or exacted harsher punishments based on the circumstances involving the case.

Do you see the analogy here? The "spirit of the law" is much more critical in understanding fairness than the "letter of the law". This is probably the case most times in most situations.

-Al
Old 05-16-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the difference is Jason Terry did something and Amare and Boris did nothing. You can't compare punching a guy in the balls with standing up and walking 10 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a very fundamental level, I disagree with this assessment of the situation. What I saw Amare and Boris do is something other than "nothing and "stand and walking 10 feet," and I think the league feels this way too.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 PM

It's BS and I hope Pat Burke and Jalen Rose go hunting or instigate some incident get Timmmmmy kicked out--I never really hated the Spurs so much as I have this season. Their flopping backcourt and crying frontcourt aren't much fun to watch unless you are a S. American soccer fan.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Fisher had those clothes on. Not completely relevant, but I agree with questioning Stu Jackson's job.

As far as the incorrect conclusion, I just hate that line of thinking. I like Stern's. It's not rewarding the perpetrator, it's punishing those that broke the rules. If you want to use the "reward the perpetrator" argument, word it in its simplest terms. If player( A goads player B into breaking the rules, and player B gets punished in accordance with the rules, then essentially player A is rewarded for the goad. In much simpler scenarios, you see this kind of thing when a player goads a hothead into blowing up for a tech. However, I still say the fault is on player B.

To me, it's a matter of if the rule makes sense. To me, it doesn't. It's absurdly draconian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people's natural reaction when one of their teammates is "attacked" is to get up and go towards them...wehther to check n see if they are hurt, defend them, go after the attacker etc.

But by not allowing discretion it does allow dirty players to possibly alter the outcome of a series by instigating fights and getting people hurt/suspended.

It is a terrible rule but it is also terrible leadership by Stern to pull a GWB and just stay the course no matter what

Thomas - you honestly think, after watching the incident, based on what Amare and Diaw did... they should be suspended for a game for these actions?

And Baron Davis should be allowed to play after his forearm shiver?

-Al
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Exactly please explain this. And if you say it is because there was no altercation then please explain how it makes sense that Duncan would have been suspended if Jones punched Elson but he isnt now.

[/ QUOTE ]

During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench.

If player is at point A, which is within the immediate vicinity of the bench but may actually be on the floor, an altercation starts, and a player remains at point A, player has not violated the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

nm, don't respond to my last one. you're delusional.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? I think people have been blowing up the Duncan thing big time. The rule explicitly says within the vicinity. Duncan was 5 feet in front of the bench.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Fisher had those clothes on. Not completely relevant, but I agree with questioning Stu Jackson's job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is very relevant for those arguing that the letter of the law must be followed at all times, no matter the situation and with no eye for context. Clearly the league either dropped the ball on this one, or should concede that there are some situations where it is better to ignore rules that are there pretty much for the sake of image.

[ QUOTE ]

As far as the incorrect conclusion, I just hate that line of thinking. I like Stern's. It's not rewarding the perpetrator, it's punishing those that broke the rules. If you want to use the "reward the perpetrator" argument, word it in its simplest terms. If player( A goads player B into breaking the rules, and player B gets punished in accordance with the rules, then essentially player A is rewarded for the goad. In much simpler scenarios, you see this kind of thing when a player goads a hothead into blowing up for a tech. However, I still say the fault is on player B.

To me, it's a matter of if the rule makes sense. To me, it doesn't. It's absurdly draconian.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we agree in spirit - the real problem is with the rule. I would say that a major problem with the rule is that in situations like this it is likely to reward the dirty side.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:20 PM

KC - I agree the Duncan thing was just Kerr's attempt to defuse the situation and hope the Commissioner just let it go away.

But what the Duncan incident does do is underscore how incredibly stupid this rule is.

Duncan and Amare / Diaw's intent were the same, but somehow that gets obfuscated in the letter of the law baesd on how they choose to measure transgression.

-Al
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Anyways...this is just another example of why the NBA is such a joke.

Baron almost decapitates Derick Fisher and he gets a fine.
Boris Diaw walks 10 feet n he gets suspended.

In one game the refs allow players to knee people in the balls and basically play school yard basketball.

two games later the same crew calls every ticky tack foul and allows little to no contact.

Dwayne Wade gets to shoot FT's everytime he goes to the hoop
While Nash/Parker/Stephen Jackson can get mugged and nothing happens.

I Love this Game!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:27 PM

don't forget--the refs aren't racist either. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]