Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Re: 60s - another very silly preflop question TT

[ QUOTE ]
I like a call here. Depends somewhat on opponent. Calling is never gonna be awful here though if you can play postflop.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are calling here, it has to be with a plan? What is said plan Ryan? Postflop will be tricky when 20% of effective stacks are going in preflop.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like a call here. Depends somewhat on opponent. Calling is never gonna be awful here though if you can play postflop.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are calling here, it has to be with a plan? What is said plan Ryan? Postflop will be tricky when 20% of effective stacks are going in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan usually involves folding, which is why folding PF is a viable option.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Reads on this player's raising activity/habits is like, kinda important here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. Is this hand ever a fold though? I mean I guess it is against someone with a very narrow range, but I think even a lot of very tight players are raising AQ and AJs here, some even wider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if playing the hand here is +cev, I think against lots of PFRs folding is +$EV, given your stack sizes. Everyone at the table gets free $$ (at your long-run expense prob.) if you and other big stack get into a confrontation for all your chips, and you're probalby going to have to spend 1/2 your stack (if not all of it) to find out where you're at/fold out PFR'r/get to showdown (unless he's passive and/or tight postflop). Also, you will spend chips and fold the best hand a fair % of the time. Bye-bye valuable chip gap, Giga just shed a tear on his block theory manuscript.

I think I'd want a pretty specific postflop donkish read on PFR (along with donkish PF range) to flat call the raise and proceed.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:11 AM

i actually folded this, but thought i was being way too tight. its amazing how there are advocates of folding, calling and pushing all from posters that obv know what theyre talking about.
i think in a way everyones right, heh. thanks for all the input [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 AM

I'd trash it but then again I'm used to the 6.50 donkaments. There they're more than happy to call with a coinflip, so probably depends on any reads and you image at the table.

PS Not silly at all because with JJ its a definate shove and with 99 probably a fold...right in the grey area
Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM

Depending on my reads I'm probably folding this. Unless he's a huge donk you have to give him more credit because he's raising UTG. At best you're probably coinflipping - at worst you're dominated by an overpair. You also don't have the benefit of seeing what everyone does after you...calling off 420 chips only to have the button push all in and UTG call would obviouly force you to fold - and it would suck.