Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Slice My Drives

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of putting your weight on your heel, try to put more weight towards the front of the feet, im like 70/30 front side and it gives a better angle when you rotate around that point of pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed...ghostface pointed out to me that when I played baseball the weight transfer happened in the step (which does not happen in golf so learning weight transfer was key to my getting straight drives
Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People that slice the driver are going outside-in with their swing (Over the top) almost 100% of the time. You want to go inside-square-inside.

I find that this is usually caused by starting the downswing with your arms/hands instead of with your lower body. In addition, people want to swing hard with the driver which leads to starting with the arms....bad idea.

Make sure that your starting the downswing with your lower body.

[/ QUOTE ]
This does ring a few bells.
Can you elaborate on how one can start the downswing with the lower body?
Are you saying let the legs and hips move while the arms and club are at the top of the backswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you got it. You'll hear a lot of teaching pro's say that you coil your upper body AGAINST your lower body. Just before you reach the top of your backswing, start to rotate your lower body towards the target.

You upper body will be rotating away from the target and your lower body will be rotating towards your target. (In opposite directions) Check out the book 'Swing like a pro' if you go to the library. It has a good example of this concept.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM

I find a helpful drill is to go to the range and tee up some balls so that the range stripe on the ball is pointing in a straight line about 15 degrees to the right of your target. Take some long smooth swings envisioning the club head following that stripe on the ball and turn your hands over
Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Keep your right elbow close to your body on the downswing. It should almost brush your right hip.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes a lot of sense.
The feeling i usually get is one of my arms coming down on a really out-to-in plain during the downswing.
By just envisioning it i think that keeping my right elbow close to my body will improve my swing plain during the downswing.

thanks to all who replied.
pajo