Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Slice My Drives

Any one know how to cure a huge slice with a driver?
I'm 31 years old and play off a handicap of 17.
I have a good short game but the biggest obstacle to becoming a low handicap golfer is a big mad left to right slice off the tee.
Ball starts out left of my target line and ends up way right, i mean waaaayyy right. Every time, not just the odd drive but EVERY drive.

anyone overcome a slice with a driver?

i hit my irons straight as an arrow incidently.......
Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Slice My Drives

this could be due to a number of reasons including the stiffness of the shaft in the driver. One way that ive found to correct this is to go to a driving range and tee up your ball, then put another tee in the ground around a foot to foot and a half directly behind the teed up ball. Then try to take your swing just inside of the tee on your backswing.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this could be due to a number of reasons including the stiffness of the shaft in the driver.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shaft stiffness is "regular". i have tried numerous drives with all types of shaft and the result is usually the same.

[ QUOTE ]
One way that ive found to correct this is to go to a driving range and tee up your ball, then put another tee in the ground around a foot to foot and a half directly behind the teed up ball. Then try to take your swing just inside of the tee on your backswing.

[/ QUOTE ]
So are you saying on the takeaway the club head will be inside the tee behind the tee and the same on the downswing just before impact?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 PM

could be number of things.

1. ur grip could be off.
2. ur address could be off.
3. ur takeaway might be off.
4. ur backswing could be off at the top

etc.

you're probably not releasing your wrist properly, leaving the club face open. you probably know this, and try to compensate by opening your shoulder and using your hands more, which will guide the ball to the left, but since the club face is still open, the ball will slice to the right anyway...

but there is no definitive answer w/o seeing the actual swing.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:22 PM

People that slice the driver are going outside-in with their swing (Over the top) almost 100% of the time. You want to go inside-square-inside.

I find that this is usually caused by starting the downswing with your arms/hands instead of with your lower body. In addition, people want to swing hard with the driver which leads to starting with the arms....bad idea.

Make sure that your starting the downswing with your lower body.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM

I used to have a huge driver slice. One thing that helped a bunch was fixing my lead hand (left) grip to a stronger position. A weak lead hand keeps the clubface open, and produces a slice. Now I slice much less. Last time I was out golfing, the big hitter in the group had me strengthen my left hand grip even more on the last two holes. Two of the best drives I've ever had. But as stated in the thread....your slice could be caused by a lot of things (that can be fixed).

ScottieK
Old 05-08-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People that slice the driver are going outside-in with their swing (Over the top) almost 100% of the time. You want to go inside-square-inside.

I find that this is usually caused by starting the downswing with your arms/hands instead of with your lower body. In addition, people want to swing hard with the driver which leads to starting with the arms....bad idea.

Make sure that your starting the downswing with your lower body.

[/ QUOTE ]
This does ring a few bells.
Can you elaborate on how one can start the downswing with the lower body?
Are you saying let the legs and hips move while the arms and club are at the top of the backswing?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Pajo-

Here are a couple of tips that I have had success with in the past curing slices.

1. Keep your right elbow close to your body on the downswing. It should almost brush your right hip. If your right elbow is staying close to your hip on the downswing, the over the top motion is impossible and it will be very hard to slice the ball. If you really exeggerate this you should hook the ball.

2. Think of pulling the butt of the club into the ground on the downswing. Once you're at the top of your backswing, imagine you have to drive a stake into the ground with the end of your club on the downswing. Again, this tends to stop the over the top motion.

These are just things to try. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM

I have the same problem and how I have kinda fixed it is putting the ball farther back in my stance. Since I played baseball and have very quick hands this makes the impact zone of the club have a straiter face and thus a straiter shot. Worked for me but i dont know.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Instead of putting your weight on your heel, try to put more weight towards the front of the feet, im like 70/30 front side and it gives a better angle when you rotate around that point of pressure.