Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: BR Management for Moving Up

Ah I see. I'm referring to the auto-shove 20% of buyin stacks that populate 2-4 seats in every FR game on FTP below 100NL.

I don't have any problem with buying in low. In fact I think that's a really viable strategy in some situations. Sorry for the confusion.

If you're buying in low but playable, then I'd basically adhere to the same BR requirements as someone fullstacking, which is obviously a matter of feel.

EDIT: Carter might have a really good idea there.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Carter,

You have any links to good shortstacking threads? Or a basic strategy? People still using ed millers?
Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 AM

1. Make sure you are a winner at your current level.
2. Make sure you are comfortable at the level you are moving up to.
3. The more tables you play the more buyins you should have
4. If you lose your bankroll, do you have other means to replace it? If the answer is no be more conservative. I am guessing most of us can replace a $500 roll, so you can play with less buy ins at the lower levels. As you move up I would reccomend having more buyins. I may be a little conservative, but I like to have 30-40 buy-ins playing 3-4 tables. I will play a little light when playing live (around 20 buy-ins) because I am only playing 1 table.
5. And as others have said don't let your ego keep you from moving back down.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Carter,

You have any links to good shortstacking threads? Or a basic strategy? People still using ed millers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed Miller's is the one I still use and judge all shortstack play by, as it's about as solid as you can get.

If I could build a bot to play it, I would, and know it'll be profitable. It's pretty much unexploitable by anyone.

You can vary from this A LITTLE, if you're an experienced player, but only in a very obvious way (eg two really tight players on your left, you're on the button and first in, you raise, obv).
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Carter, what are Ed's suggested ranges?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Carter, what are Ed's suggested ranges?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think any serious player should buy his GSIH, but to be non-specific, when you are opening:

Early: top 3 percent
Middle: top 5 percent
Late: top 8-9 percent

Always size raise enough so you want a HU call rather than a fold, but never less than 3x.

If you have callers, raise more usually (you still want a HU) and if you face a raise, you need to get supertight (And if you stay in, you all-in typically).

There's more, but get the book. Ed deserves it, and you'll make this back in a hand or two where the knowledge is of use.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 AM

I play shortstacked - but my strat isn't push PF or fold.

I play 25NL and I buy in for 10. I then cash out if I go over 20 and sit down again with 10, locking in those profits.

Works for me.

I can see the argument that I might not get full value out of my monsters.. But I also don't lose as much when I'm up against a monster. Each to their own.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 AM

40 big blinds is middle stack.

Short is 25 bb or less.

I've yet to be convinced middlestack is good play long term. shortstack has the benefit of simplicity that goes with 2 betting rounds and a dwgree of unexploitability, max buyin gives you the best implied odds on speculative hands (when up against big stacks, anyway) and allows you to play the game expansively and to the most +EV, and as the beautiful thing it is.

It's like the worst of both worlds. I don't get it. I'd like to hear explanations tho.

FWIW, I make a good buck out of middle stacks that won't lay down even when they are so beat it's not true.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with 500 dollars, play 25nl, if you drop 4 buyins (down to 400$), then drop down to 10nl, if you win up to 1000$, then move up to 50nl.

With 1000$, play 50nl until you either lose 4 buyins (down to 800) and move back down, or until you win up to 2000 dollars.

With 2000$ move up to 100nl, move back down if you drop 4 buyins, and move up to 1/2 if you get to 5000$.

At 1/2, if you lose six buyins move down to 100nl, otherwise get yourself up to 12000$ before you play 2/4.

That should get you started.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are good guidelines but for those of you in micro limits I would suggest trying to move up as quickly as possible.

I started with $300 at 25nl, went to 50nl at $500 and 100nl at $1000 - dropping back down along the way if I lost a couple BIs. I didn't play 200nl until I had ~$2000 and didn't make the permanent move there until I had more like $5000.

Your goal should be to get out of the micro levels as QUICKLY as possible. DOn't worry about playing x number of hands < 25nl - the experience isn't gonna be THAT useful anyway comapred to the experience you could be gaining at higher levels, and the potential earning power that comes with playing higher.

Of course you will have a greater chance of going busto but if you are able to deposit another couple hundred dollars w/o robbing a bank its not a big deal.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Agree with Donktastic here, move up aggressively, but move down aggressively too if needed.