Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: slow play or attack?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cold call, get ridiculous on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really slows people down. Go nuts now, hope to raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

true.

i find that cold calling in a 3 way raises flags and people have to actually stop and realize it's a 3 way pot.

push it fast while they still think it's a pissing contest but if the board pairs your probably screwed.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Push now. A lot of turn cards (A, K, 7, 6, 3) could kill your action.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 PM

I probably fold preflop.

I raise the flop. In the 6-12 especially, they like to slowplay to the turn, so by raising, I actually think you disguise your hand better than smoothcalling and raising the turn. If it gets fourbet behind, you, then I think you can slowplay and wait until the turn to raise again.

If someone has a set, I think that by raising, you are setting yourself up to get checked to on the turn, you bet, and the set raises, and then you can threebet. or wait until the river to raise again.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:46 PM

cold call.. dont pop it. You do NOT want any players to drop and people will talk themselves into any draw on a pot that big. You cold call on that flop? SO WHAT?! AK with a backdoor flush i think many players cold call there. your cold call may even induce other cold calls. So what if you spook the player to your right. He checks you bet, they all call putting you on TPTK. Even if the hand goes poorly for you in that way its gonna be a monster pot. I personally would slowplay to the river if the bets stay on my right hand side. And potentially never even pop it up if I know 2 people are calling behind me.

Gotta give people a change to put dead money out.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM

I really don't want to give anyone with a 6 or a 7 a chance to draw to cheaply here. Other than that, I don't care if they come along, but the 8-16 is usually an action game, and I think that threebetting, is a lot more subtle way to build a big pot in this game than coldcalling.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Make them pay the absolute maximum to draw against you - Raise until the dealer says you cant raise anymore on every street! The 8-16 at CP kiddies will call with any pair and any draw until the river - who cares how many river callers you get??? Why did you play this hand in the first place? TO FLOP BIG!!! You did - now jam chips into the pot until you go all in or the dealer says you can't! Seems like a no brainer to me -

Ping
Old 05-03-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live $8/$16 - Canterbury Park

Hero is dealt [6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero is CO and calls, Button Folds, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(5 players): [4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
<font color="red">SB Bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, HERO...???

This was a big action flop. No flush draws. Do you think it is a good play to pounce right now and pump it up to three bets here? Or should I slow play in hopes of maybe getting three bets on the turn?

I fear a smooth call here might be suspicious, and I might give away my hand and everyone will run on the turn. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go ahead and 3bet turn and if you're lucky one of the other villans may 4bet anyway. Unless you're up against a set you're a HUGE fav and even if you're up against a set you're 63 percent or so to win.

It's likely you're up against a overpair, two pair, or a set.

As far as slowplaying goes, I probably would not. The pot is huge and even of you do 3bet the turn you'll probably get called down anyway on the river. Put and Ace of diamonds on the river and let's see what happens. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw, I like my cappuccino extra hot with an extra shot!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Check the math... I think this will help

BTW for those of you who think that raising the flop in this hand is a bad Idea - you have never really played the 8-16 at CP - You MUST have the best hand at the river to win. There is no folding EVER when the pot gets past 10BB-
Especially 4-5-6 way - the MOUNTAIN of yellow chips in the middles makes ridiculous hands/draws call all the way.

Think about if you flopped bottom set instead of the straight here - it's not much more vulnerable than your straight. How many times on the 8-16 have you flopped an overpair, 2 pair, or a set on this kind of board and got run down by a 1 card flush, a 1 card straight or something pukeworthy like that? You MUST try to win the pot here by charging the maximum.

Let's say that raising out 2 people "accidentally" costs you 3BB. This pot has a 15 BB minimum feel to me with 5 riders for 2BB each PF and two bets to you on the flop. With your hand against 4 players, you are about an 65% favorite to win the pot. Against 2 players you jump to an 80% favorite. Thats a huge deal ! Look at the math:

65% favorite against 4 people - 65% of the time you win 18BB, 35% of the time you lose 5BB = Implied Pot odds of +4.55 BB

80% favorite against 2 people - 80% of the time you win 15BB
20% of the time you lose 5BB = implied pot odds of +11 BB!!!

Even though raising early "cost you" those extra 3BB - Look at the average return! I like the average return of 11BB to the average return of 4.55BB alot more!
Ping
Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live $8/$16 - Canterbury Park

Hero is dealt [6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero is CO and calls, Button Folds, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(5 players): [4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
<font color="red">SB Bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="red">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, HERO...???

[/ QUOTE ]

did the SB fold PreFlop and then Bet on the Flop? i'm confused now.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 PM

I wrote it in wrong. The SB did fold, and the BB led out on the flop.