Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Get Your Noob Out II: All questions here!

Alright im just starting sngs, playing the 1's on stars to get into the game. This might be super standard but im not quite sure. I ended up folding.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1440)
UTG+1 (t1255)
MP1 (t1380)
MP2 (t1180)
MP3 (t2235)
CO (t1695)
Hero (t1565)
SB (t1430)
BB (t1320)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="red">MP1 raises to t120</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero?

<font color="blue"> Yep, it's standard. Hero folds. There just isn't much room to call here and outplay your opponents in sngs. Not to mention, the raiser typically has a very tight range so you basically need to hit a set. It's close, but your not really getting great implied odds here to play strictly for set value. - devin </font>
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's close, but your not really getting great implied odds here to play strictly for set value. - devin[/i] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of odds do you normally require to go for set value? ie: certain number of limpers? do you ever limp for set value UTG?

<font color="blue"> I'm certainly never calling off more than 10% of my stack. I'd like to be closer to 5%. Also, in a situation like this there is a chance the limper could re-raise, so that means you should be less inclined to call. - devin </font>
Old 04-24-2007, 11:35 PM

how much ROI am i sacrificing by 12+ tabling instead of playing fewer tables? i ask because i had 25% ROI at bodog and ongame STTs 4 tabling at most, but have been barely better than breakeven at stars, where there is no table cap.

<font color="blue"> I dunno? A lot? Especially if you jumped from 4 to 12. I can't really say, because I never played more than 6 at a time. - devin </font>
Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 AM

I fear I do not really understand the chart on the K+S website http://www.decf.berkeley.edu/~chubukov/rankings.html

How can this be used in actual play?

<font color="blue"> I have no idea. Learn ICM instead. - devin </font>
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 PM

just starting out at sng's and this is something that's been giving me trouble.

when on the bubble in the turbo low-stakes games (3.40's or 6.50's), how do you handle it when people always limp in front of you when you're on the button or in the small blind, thus messing up a lot of your otherwise +EV pushes.

for example:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t4661)
Hero (t1920)
SB (t3729)
BB (t4690)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, <font color="red">Hero</font>...?

now i'm assuming this particular hand would be a +EV push even with the limper (or maybe not?). But how do i go about determining when to push on the bubble if i'm not the one opening the pot?

<font color="blue"> At low limits it is tough to deal with. This is because they are limping because they want to see a flop with their hand. That doesn't mean they aren't willing to play for stacks if they have to. They just want to see a flop damn it!

So, you need to pick decent hands to come over the top with. It is opponent dependent obv, but people love to limp/call with Ax, KT+ and pps. So, you need to pick hands that do good against that range when called.

In the specific hand, with 10 BBs on the bubble, I'd wait for a better spot. - devin
</font>
Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 PM

What does "to level someone" mean? As in, "he's leveling you," or "I hope you're just leveling."

<font color="blue"> It's basically sarcasm. They aren't really saying what you think they are saying. They are thinking a 'level' higher than you. Ie, thinking about what you will think it will mean.

Just like in poker when you should be thinking one level higher than your opponent. If he's thinking only about what cards he has, you need to thinking about what cards he has and not worry about your's as much. - devin
</font>
Old 04-28-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just starting out at sng's and this is something that's been giving me trouble.

when on the bubble in the turbo low-stakes games (3.40's or 6.50's), how do you handle it when people always limp in front of you when you're on the button or in the small blind, thus messing up a lot of your otherwise +EV pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes wonder about this one myself, see it at times at $16s too. I prefer spots with "first in vigorish," not sure how to adjust normal push range.

I'll ask another one: Which are the most important reads one should concentrate on picking up? That is to say, which are most likely to impact your ROI in a significant way? Or is this too much of a situational/"it depends" area of the game with no clear answer?

Thanks.

<font color="blue"> Obv there are a lot of important reads. I think at the low levels the one thing that helped my profitability the most was related to the question above. Learning which players will limp/fold and which ones will limp/call and then find an appropriate range to shove over those players.

In the late game you need to find out which ones are adjusting to the rising blinds and which ones understand the bubble and then react accordingly. - devin
</font>
Old 04-28-2007, 12:57 PM

in what situations are we pushing ATC?

<font color="blue"> In situations where it is +$EV to do so [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Like from the SB with some where around 10BB effective stacks is one place. On the bubble with a big stack and shorty at the table is another. And there are more. Learn ICM. - devin
</font>
Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 PM

How do you guys typically handle this? how bad is a push?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 calls t20, MP2 calls t20, MP3 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?

<font color="blue"> Haha. I don't know. I don't get that situation much. If that's level 2, it's an easy push. Lvl 1 it is tricky.

A push isn't bad, slightly over kill but not bad. I'd probably stick in a raise to 3xBB + 5bbs for the limpers. So, to about 160. You'll probably get a few callers, but you'll have position. Limping behind is another option, and then tred careful on the flop.

It's a tough spot. - devin
</font>
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM

I pop it to ~150. Some people call. I don't like a call, because I don't want to get stacked when someone limps with 27 and the flop comes down 27A.
I think a push is quite bad. The chips you pick up if everyone folds are inconsequential at level 1. Plus, if you get called, you are at best a 70/30 and a high probability of a coinflip. It's too early to gamble.