Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Get Your Noob Out II: All questions here!

Got a question you think is too noobish to ask?

Afraid your post will get locked because it's stupid?

Think you've got a frequently asked question that isn't in the FAQ or in the the first Get Your Noob Out?

In Get Your Noob Out II, we're inviting all of you to post your noob questions - as silly as you think they might be - in this thread.

This thread is reserved for ON TOPIC questions only. This is not "Ask the mods Anything." Attempts to troll this thread (where the mods will be politely providing answers) will be met with swift bans.

Looking forward to it:

the mods.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Get Your Noob Out II: All questions here!

Why did you start a new Get your Noob out thread?
edit: Sorry I had to

<font color="blue"> Cit told me to and I don't question him. But it probably has something to do with making sure people read OP!?! - devin </font>
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM

I have a question that was asked in the first one, but not answered:
What is 5-step? I've heard people referring to it as if it were some level of buyin, but I can't figure out what it is

<font color="blue"> You must be refering to the step systems. I don't know what sites offer them, or what the official name for them are. But, at party it is the Steps.

There are 5 steps. You start at Step 1. If you win Step 1, you move to Step 2. And it continues like that until you reach Step 5 where there are cash payouts.

At each level, if you do not win or come in the top couple spots, you usually get a freeroll into that same step or a step or two down.

Generally people see them as a rake trap. At each step, you are paying a certain amount back to the site. It's very difficult to win enough sngs to get to the top step, so you're paying a lot of rake along the way to what is usually just busting completely.

People are attracted to them because the payouts are huge compared to the buy-ins for the first couple steps. But, people should remember that there is no easy way to make these big scores. It's no different than playing a 6.50$ and winning and buyin into a $27. Then winning the $27 and buying into a $114. You can imagine, it's pretty easy to lose your initial buy-in, because you are most likely going to lose at some point. - devin
</font>
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 AM

How bad is it to constantly berate the fish?

<font color="blue"> Is this really a serious question? I can't see much benefit to it. So, if there's no benefit... - devin </font>
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 AM

Is it possible for a winning player to break even over 2k games? Or is it time for me to find a new hobby?

<font color="blue"> I'd say it is possible. Obviously it also depends on the extent that you are a winning player. If you have an ROI of 1%, it will be much more likely than if you ROI is 15%.

Play around with RVGs ROI simulator. - devin
</font>
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM

1) how are the Stars 55's and 114's nowadays since the neteller meltdown?

2) How are the current Party 50's, 77's, and 109's compared to the current Stars 55's and 114's?

<font color="blue"> softer. - devin </font>

3) What's the best country to move to because i want to play at Party?

<font color="blue"> this is a personal preference. I like Canada myself. - devin </font>

4) 1st place is my highest % of finishes in the past 250 SnGs. 2nd highest % is 7th place (in a 9man SnG). Suggestions for improvement based on the little info i've provided?

<font color="blue"> Sounds like you are pushing some thin edges early to get chips. If you are not seeing good results, you may think about slowing down a little in the early stages. - devin </font>

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 PM

So, I *finally* purchased SNGPT, and have already changed the way I've been thinking about bubble situations. Here is kind of a general question, though, that I've been thinking about.
By default, the minimum EV edge is set at 0.5, which makes sense to me, especially since I play the $5.50s, and I can certainly afford to pass on the +0.1 or +0.2 situations, since the +0.5s will come up against these fish. However, what if the +0.5s don't come? i.e. I am card dead, and getting blinded down to 3 or 4 BBs waiting for that situation. I'm thinking that when I start to get down to 8 BB or so, then I need to loosen up that minimum EV requirements, maybe to take +0.2 or +0.3 situations. Does that make sense, or am I totally missing the point?

<font color="blue"> It all depends on how your opponents are playing. But, I will say that 8 BBs is probably not desparate enough to be drastically changing your requirements for pushing. At 8 BBs you still have room to wait for the +EV spots you are looking for, while still allowing your opponents to make -EV plays.

I'd say when you start getting &lt;5BBs is when you might have to take more risks. Sometimes, you even have to take a -$EV spot, if you think it is less -$EV then what you are likely to get in the future.

This is not an easy topic, because no one can predict future events. You might go card dead, but your stack and position often dictate the +$EV of a situation as much as your cards. So, if your opponents are playing badly, +EV situations shouldn't dry up that much and you shouldn't be taking real small edges.

However, as you opponents begin to play better. You'll get less +$EV siutations, so you'll have to be taking smaller edges. - devin
</font>
Old 03-19-2007, 03:54 PM

While I don't think one could produce numbers to prove it, I think its pretty bad. The best poker players go so far as to 'be friend' people they want in their games (e.g. Chip Reese and Andy Beal). The games have gotten hard enough as it is which puts even more strain on the fish than us. Making that environment further hostile can only lower profits for all.

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is it to constantly berate the fish?

<font color="blue"> Is this really a serious question? I can't see much benefit to it. So, if there's no benefit... - devin </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible for a winning player to break even over 2k games? Or is it time for me to find a new hobby?

<font color="blue"> I'd say it is possible. Obviously it also depends on the extent that you are a winning player. If you have an ROI of 1%, it will be much more likely than if you ROI is 15%.

Play around with RVGs ROI simulator. - devin
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.rvgsoftware.com/roisimulator.zip

rvg
Old 03-19-2007, 04:09 PM

I'm working on moving from the 16s to the 27s. . .

How do they play differently?

<font color="blue"> I don't play at stars, but I would imagine it is like any time you move up in stakes. There are fewer people just giving money away, and the bad players aren't quite as bad. So, you might need to fine tune some of your push/fold game to make sure you are playing optimally against your new opposition. You also should be continually working on your post flop game. - devin </font>

Have you read enough of my posts to have an opinion on whether this is a good idea?

<font color="blue"> I don't have a great feel for the quality of your posts. I know they don't suck most the time! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm sure you'll be fine. - devin </font>

I went on a pretty sick heater for a bit and suddenly found myself rolled for them.