Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Recommend a martini I should try.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A martini is made with gin, and usually dry vermouth, and some garnish (olive/lemon/etc)

A vodka martini, which really isnt synonymous with martini as far as Im concerned is made with vodka instead of gin.

appletinis, strawtinis, etc are not martinis, they are just general cocktails, just like a martini is just a general cocktail.

A manhattan sometimes comes in a martini glass, but it def isnt a martini, women should drink it out of a martini glass men should drink it on the rocks, in a rocks glass. I love manhattans.

In general Im being a nit, and none of this REALLY matters, but some might be interested in whats "right" and whats "wrong".

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me until here. Why would I want to water down a perfectly good Manhattan with ice, and why is a cocktail glass so girly? I think the only reason cocktail glasses got that reputation is because of all the sweet, pink frufru crap that's been put into them lately. Nothing wrong with putting a legitimate drink in one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if thats a rule or not, but Ive never seen a Manhattan in a martini glass served to a guy, on the flip side I dont know many girls who order manhattans. I guess it doesnt really matter too much, but i like mine out of a rocks glass, but Im also pretty clumsy, so martinis dont suit me well.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A martini is made with gin, and usually dry vermouth, and some garnish (olive/lemon/etc)

A vodka martini, which really isnt synonymous with martini as far as Im concerned is made with vodka instead of gin.

appletinis, strawtinis, etc are not martinis, they are just general cocktails, just like a martini is just a general cocktail.

A manhattan sometimes comes in a martini glass, but it def isnt a martini, women should drink it out of a martini glass men should drink it on the rocks, in a rocks glass. I love manhattans.

In general Im being a nit, and none of this REALLY matters, but some might be interested in whats "right" and whats "wrong".

[/ QUOTE ]

You had me until here. Why would I want to water down a perfectly good Manhattan with ice, and why is a cocktail glass so girly? I think the only reason cocktail glasses got that reputation is because of all the sweet, pink frufru crap that's been put into them lately. Nothing wrong with putting a legitimate drink in one.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the purpose of a martini glass, other than the challenge of not spilling your drink?

-McGee
Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nowags,

Bartenders have to ask questions like that because people like you don't know what different drinks are called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. When I bartended, I had to stop making a proper martini, because people would bitch that I made it incorrectly. I finally just consented to asking them what they wanted therefore saving me time in having to remake the drink to their specifics (even if what they were ordering was not a real martini even though they insisted it was)

Ironically, one of the nittiest martini drinkers that would order from me always wanted house gin. Way to ruin a good drink with crappy liquor.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:52 PM

"Bombay martini, extra extra dry, up, twist"

7 words that get me exactly what I want, every time.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM

1/4 oz. Noilly Prat and 2 oz of Citadelle. Spin the rim of the glass as you drizzle the Noilly Prat into the glass. Do not fill and swirl - you release the aromas of the vermouth prematurely. Pour the 2 oz. of Citadelle into the center of the glass, don't wash out the vermouth.

Garnish with olive for a pre dinner or with dinner drink and a lemon peel for a post dinner drink.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:09 PM

I'm pussy so I like mine a little sweeter. 2 parts gin to 1 part Vermouth. I went to the horse races with the company the other day and accidentally ordered it the other way around. That was pretty gross.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it sounds like I would really enjoy Manhattans. I'm going to try one soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy cow was i ever wrong about this - tastes like cough syrup.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it sounds like I would really enjoy Manhattans. I'm going to try one soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did the bartender put in it? bitters? too much grenadine? etc. Personally, I dont like bitters, try making one yourself:

Rocks glass filled with ice, fill bourbon 3/4 of glass, splash of sweet vermouth, take 2 cherries out of cherry jar throw in glass, throw in with a few drips of the marciano liquid, stir.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did the bartender put in it? bitters? too much grenadine? etc. Personally, I dont like bitters, try making one yourself:

Rocks glass filled with ice, fill bourbon 3/4 of glass, splash of sweet vermouth, take 2 cherries out of cherry jar throw in glass, throw in with a few drips of the marciano liquid, stir.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did make it myself, w/ bitters...3:1 bourbon to vermouth may be too much vermouth.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM

bitters is your problem if your taste is like mine, I think bitters ruins the drink and makes it taste..well, like cough syrup as you said, try it sans bitters.