Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: My Dad: He is Pissing Me off

It's okay for grandparents to cuss around young kids. It's like a rule or something.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"clean the kitchen" - hmm, I didnt make it dirty
"clean up that [censored] on the floor" - I didnt put it there.
Just typical b.s, over and over and over. Every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this, jackass:

"Pay the rent." -hmm, I live there.

Shut up.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't the OP's dad actually be a dick? It sounds to me like he should be nicer to his son and try to have a normal relationship where he interacts with his children instead of bossing them around like indentured servants.

[/ QUOTE ]

His dad might just be a jerk. I can barely remember being a teenager but I didn't know any kid that really liked their parents. I mean I loved my parents but I thought they were stupid, had terrible rules, and basically didn't do anything right.

Then about 15 years or so later I realized they did stuff for a reason.

Maybe OP's dad should have hugged him more, taken him fishing, or taught him about the birds and the bee's.

But unless his dad has done some unruly crap then he should do what pop's says.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Tell him how you feel. He's probably just telling you to do all of the things that he had to do as a kid.. he's not reasoning as to why you should have to do those things he's just remembering all of the things that he had to do and forcing them on you. He will most likely tell you something along the lines of "my house, my rules" which is really just ashole behavior. It's important to remember that he decided to have you - you did not decide to have him and the burden for taking care of you is his. He is not some virtous saint because he provides a roof over your head; that is what he's supposed to do! That being said, you do have a responsibility to someone whose house you're living in. (this applies not just to your parents but to any friends house that you stay in in the future) Clean up after yourself and if you find some free time and can help more with household affairs then do so. Your father probably thinks that you're lazy (most parents think that of their kids) and if you show him that you're not he'll have no reason to bother you. If he continues to bother you after that then he's just a dik and you can ignore him once you move out.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know any kid that really liked their parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm odd because I've always liked my parents and have always gotten along with them really well.

Obviously, there were times when they got mad at me or I got mad at them, but nobody held a grudge for more than a day.

As an adult, the only thing that annoys me about them is that they can be a bit naggy at times, but that's out of love and concern for me and my family.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know any kid that really liked their parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm odd because I've always liked my parents and have always gotten along with them really well.

Obviously, there were times when they got mad at me or I got mad at them, but nobody held a grudge for more than a day.

As an adult, the only thing that annoys me about them is that they can be a bit naggy at times, but that's out of love and concern for me and my family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely loved my parents when I was young, and still do. They are the best. They have provide me love and support for 26 years and are still going strong.

I feel bad for those kids who don't have parents they get along with and love.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Im 20 BTW, for those of you who asked.

Well I cleaned all the [censored] that I was told to. Usually my dad thanks me after I do stuff, however this time he didn't. I get annoyed when he thanks me, so I am glad he ignored me this time.

I'd like to point out I do things for my family such as help my brother do homework, take bro to and from school, atttend bro's sports games, etc... He is 10, and dosnt get as much attention as I did when I was young b/c my mom works now.

That is one gay title I have now btw :0 I'v seen worse I guess.

I think I will vacume the house tomorrow, even though I wasnt asked to. This thread + a naked German guy I talked to in a sauna are making me think less about myslef.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 PM

John, just read the 1st post. Haven't read others' comments.

First, you certainly have a right to expect more of your dad. Sounds like he's a bit of a jerk in that respect. Have you ever asked him to come to your games or anything like that, or told him (in a way that's not implying he's a loser) that you wish he were more of a dad to you ... that you could have a real relationship with him?

Now, regarding you as a son. Try not living like you're not a part of the family. Just because you didn't make the mess doesn't mean you shouldn't/can't help with it. After all, your mom has been busting her chops for you most of her adult life. She has lost sleep when you've been sick, had you puke all over her, helped you with homework when you were a little kid, made the meals, cleaned the dishes....

Part of being in a family is looking out for others int he family and doing things that help everyone ... not just what impacts you. It sounds in many respects like you're growing up to become your dad.

My suggestions:

1. Start helping out with stuff without being asked. For your mom, it will be like you've given her a huge gift. Everyone else will wonder what's going on with you.
2. Take an interest in your dad. Maybe ask if he'd like to go fishing or something. Be persistent. He may not want to initially. Maybe, though, if you show some real interest and respect, he might actually do the same to you. Don't hold your breath. He might not. At his age, he may be stuck the way he is. His dad may have been a jerk too.
3. Learn from your dad, and make sure that you're not going to treat your wife and kids like he does. Start living your life now treating other people the way you wish your dad would have treated you all this time...
Old 04-22-2007, 10:54 PM

I'll also say that I'm a dad and sometimes come home from work and veg in front of the computer without giving my kids much face time. Sometimes I'm pretty stressed and tired from a day at work, and just need to chill without having to deal with more demands... Having said that, as a dad, it's my job to put my kids interests in front of my own and to get out and do stuff with them. Your post is a good reminder to me to not let myself gradually turn into your dad.