Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Affiliates/RakeBack
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: i am scared to switch to rakeback...

Wow...and here I thought I was doing pretty well. Now I wonder how much better I would be doing without that damn rakeback.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because of all the horror stories that you start losing as soon as you switch.
it does have some logic.most importantly poker sites do lose money when "normal" customers like me switch to rakeback.
so can these poker sites make some programming changes to make rakeback customers lose money to their regular customers? they would kill 2 birds with one shot:
1.they would punish RB customers and force them to go "normal"
2.their "normal" customers win money and will pay more in rake.
And if they can they would because its too much money at stake and theres no 3d party independent watchdogs
So Can They?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me where you play and your alias. I will discuss this with you in chat.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Please get rakeback so that you don't bust out as fast.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:19 PM

This is my theory. Some people who switch to rakeback think that they are now playing 'cheaper' poker, which in effect they are. However, the effect of this can be that people loosen up their technique eg. wider range of starting hands, sloppy river calls etc. This has a far greater effect on win rate for people than the extra 30% rakeback can accomodate for. I think it is similar to the cashout curse, in the sense that people often get the false sense that they are winning players, cashout, become under bankrolled and then blame the poker gods before (hopefully) reloading and doing it again.

By the way, this is all total speculation and I have absolutely nothing to base it on.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 PM

i agree with you neverlie
it wouldnt make sense to do it to every affiliate .But this idea can be used selectively,lets say for example to punish customers who closed and later reopened their accounts with rakeback.is this possible?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please get rakeback so that you don't bust out as fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA, vn!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my theory. Some people who switch to rakeback think that they are now playing 'cheaper' poker, which in effect they are. However, the effect of this can be that people loosen up their technique eg. wider range of starting hands, sloppy river calls etc. This has a far greater effect on win rate for people than the extra 30% rakeback can accomodate for. I think it is similar to the cashout curse, in the sense that people often get the false sense that they are winning players, cashout, become under bankrolled and then blame the poker gods before (hopefully) reloading and doing it again.

By the way, this is all total speculation and I have absolutely nothing to base it on.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the above may very well be correct. I think also that people may be 'in a hurry' to win now, a point that you have implied here.

I think that the 'cashout curse' is easily explained by pure mathmatics.

1000 average players deposit say. A few run bad or break even, most losing a little over time.

A few, say 20% for the sake of argument, run good. So you have 200players doing better than expected, but they don't realize it. So 200 cash out there winnings. Immediatly 80% can expect to lose a little or run a little bad. Only 20% of those who cashed out can expect to keep 'getting lucky'.

So 80% of the people who cashout now all agree with the curse, and of course, those are the ones we hear from.

Generally winning players will ignore a losing streak right after a cashout, but Ive heard that gamblers can sometimes be superstitious, and some of those may 'curse the curse', even though they are simply running bad at a time they happened to cash out.

I bet if you asked people to track if they lose on rainy Wednesdays, suddenly a vast majority of players would be checking Weatherbug on Tuesday evenings.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:48 AM

why is this turning into a "semi-serious" discusstion when the original post was so outlandish ?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:13 AM

hahahaah, agreed. it started with a tinfoil hat internet is rigged type post and is now breaking down the mathematics of the infamous cashout curse

this is a serious question. do players really play looser in anticipation of rakebak monies?? thats insanely dumb.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:42 AM

i too am amazed that this was actually discussed. I was starting to think did 2p2 get invaded by these people? Im also on drugs

edit: im also playing at party 15/30