Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Anyone annoyed by Phil Laak?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like loose talkers combined with tight play, you will find David Gray even more annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call, Gray is the WORST....

[/ QUOTE ]

Close runner up has to be Corey Zeidman.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Thx for the clear definition. The link was very helpful.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Laak bugs me simplye because it seems like he's grandstanding for TV time with a lot of his nonsense. All reports are that he's far too good for most of the decisions he stalls on to take that much time. Seems like he might be a fun guy to hang around with, but annoying as hell to play with.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:57 PM

I think the guy is awesome. I really liked the episode of PAD with Antonio. His antics are much less annoying( I actually find his antics funny) than Phil Helmuth IMHO.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:45 PM

lol @ KMRIA. what a whiny bunch if haters. and then u slag off ivey. what u mean is u disgree and are going to spit ur dummy out. laak can be annoying but i quite like the different personas at the table.
BTW i think ivey is like that as he is there to win and leaves his fun for as u said, losing on the golf course.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:14 PM

gooner:

Quoi?

I think Ivey's a great player.

But this is the Televised Poker forum. I was only using Ivey as an example of cringe-worthy TV. (there are other examples, I'm sure)

I literally feel horrible every time I see this poor boy SUFFERING (I say SUFFERING!) while having to be paid to appear on TV shows like PAD, HSP, Pro-Am, etc. His face says it all, n'est-ce pas?

Say what you want about grandstanding, Dids, but at least Laak always seems to be enjoying himself. And to the TV-watching nit/noob like myself, I'd rather watch someone who is loving life, rather than the sourpuss who is deigning to grace the viewers/players with his presence.

Sorry if Ivey was the first example to come to mind for my little scenario. But he's also the one who comes to mind as the player who has most bought into his own hype--and who has been painful to watch as a mere viewer lately.

glfrjack: Zeidman is painful to watch beyond belief.

Sorry, I still like to watch Laak. **shrug**
Old 04-19-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I literally feel horrible every time I see this poor boy SUFFERING (I say SUFFERING!) while having to be paid to appear on TV shows like PAD, HSP, Pro-Am, etc. His face says it all, n'est-ce pas?

Say what you want about grandstanding, Dids, but at least Laak always seems to be enjoying himself. And to the TV-watching nit/noob like myself, I'd rather watch someone who is loving life, rather than the sourpuss who is deigning to grace the viewers/players with his presence.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least Ivey's demanor at the table is honest. If he's not happy to be there because he's missing out on golf or making real money at Bellagio, at least he's ok with showing it instead of caring what image he's portraying to the camera. I like to see poker how it's really played, not some antics designed for tv. If Laak acts like that in a poker room with no cameras, I'd be very surprised, and I'm sure everyone at the table would tell him to sit down and stfu. They put up with him on tv because they know it's all a show.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 PM

okay so i just watched on pokertube pokerafter dark episode 29 with phil laak and he went up against Antonio. Talk about his attitude in HSP, this makes him look REAL BAD. and He raises with A8 and gets reraised by antonio with QJ and he goes oh so sick. I know you bluffing and folds and tells him show me the bluff I know you had nothing. Gosh, this guy has not guts at all and keeps saying I should have listen to my gut. Antonio comments what you folded, AQ? Laak saids i would have instacalled? OH really?

Explain this Phil Laak

The next couple of hands Jen Harman moved all in 3 handed in the SB with J8diamonds and Phil picks up 99. He goes oh so sick. I have a big hand how can i fold this? Is phil THIS TIGHT of a nit or something? Then he goes to touch Jen's chips and say why it's such a big raise and then calls with 99. You're suppose to touch ppl's chips and he does that even with Antonio's just to count it and then ask the Dealer is it 24,000? I bet he would have STILL FOLDED AQ against antonio's raise. His nittyness combined with his ultra loose talking is really annoying.

I would never want to go have an all in preflop with this guy because he complains and begs like the whinnest baby I have ever heard. "Come on one time, don't do this to me". "Let me win this one time against you Antonio." GOD, you beat Antonio way more than he has beaten you for sure so stop the begging. If anything, Antonio should say that b/c I rarely ever see him win against you and you keep whinning one time win against Antonio.

And he keeps telling Antonio, don't beat me please don't beat me. Seriously Antonio sounds and acts like a cool and calm person to talk whereas Laak is just painful to hear. I used to respect him when I saw him play in the WPT b/c he always does those antics but it's in these cash games/sngs that shows how annoying he is.

Antonio asks him winner treats dinner and Laak who has a big chip lead and would win most of the time shuts up and then say how about KFC/Popeyes. I know this is a joke but this guy is very tight about money and I can DEFINITELY see why he angleshoted that player for all the other players money with the NUTs by say call but push all his chips in. He is one sketchy dude.

Excuse me for my hating but this is what I feel [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
okay so i just watched on pokertube pokerafter dark episode 29 with phil laak and he went up against Antonio. Talk about his attitude in HSP, this makes him look REAL BAD. and He raises with A8 and gets reraised by antonio with QJ and he goes oh so sick. I know you bluffing and folds and tells him show me the bluff I know you had nothing. Gosh, this guy has not guts at all and keeps saying I should have listen to my gut. Antonio comments what you folded, AQ? Laak saids i would have instacalled? OH really?

Explain this Phil Laak

The next couple of hands Jen Harman moved all in 3 handed in the SB with J8diamonds and Phil picks up 99. He goes oh so sick. I have a big hand how can i fold this? Is phil THIS TIGHT of a nit or something? Then he goes to touch Jen's chips and say why it's such a big raise and then calls with 99. You're suppose to touch ppl's chips and he does that even with Antonio's just to count it and then ask the Dealer is it 24,000? I bet he would have STILL FOLDED AQ against antonio's raise. His nittyness combined with his ultra loose talking is really annoying.

I would never want to go have an all in preflop with this guy because he complains and begs like the whinnest baby I have ever heard. "Come on one time, don't do this to me". "Let me win this one time against you Antonio." GOD, you beat Antonio way more than he has beaten you for sure so stop the begging. If anything, Antonio should say that b/c I rarely ever see him win against you and you keep whinning one time win against Antonio.

And he keeps telling Antonio, don't beat me please don't beat me. Seriously Antonio sounds and acts like a cool and calm person to talk whereas Laak is just painful to hear. I used to respect him when I saw him play in the WPT b/c he always does those antics but it's in these cash games/sngs that shows how annoying he is.

Antonio asks him winner treats dinner and Laak who has a big chip lead and would win most of the time shuts up and then say how about KFC/Popeyes. I know this is a joke but this guy is very tight about money and I can DEFINITELY see why he angleshoted that player for all the other players money with the NUTs by say call but push all his chips in. He is one sketchy dude.

Excuse me for my hating but this is what I feel [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to reevaluate things. Phil Laak is obviously just exaggerating things for fun against his buddy.

Imho, one of the funniest/coolest things I've seen was the ending where Laak is behind the dealer saying "don't do it to me" and Antonio is on knees, on top of the table yelling "Diamond! Diamond!". Funny stuff imho. You can tell these guys have a very good-natured competitive relationship.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:03 AM

I know what you mean. However, he always does it which seems like a big problem. It like he always has to win or something like that. After losing a pot, he alwyas goes so gross now I am down 8K from that hand. I dont know why but he just seems like the tight one a LAG can easily beat.

Even the hand with Matasow when Mike was betting into him and Phil had the king high flush... and Gape said he might be afraid of Mike having the ACe high flush, I do believe Laak wasnt sure he had the best hand. His instant call revealed that he either has the 2nd nuts or hoped Mike didnt
have the nuts. Laak is extremely tight and I just felt he is so easy to push off a hand if he doesnt have the nuts or close to it.