Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Anyone annoyed by Phil Laak?

I mean he is the looseist table talker on high stakes poker yet plays the tightest of them all. Why is he called the unabomber when he never does anything out of the ordinary. he is so predictable.

The hand where he had A3 diamonds were David Williams 1010 on high stakes poker, he raised david on the flop. Check, check on the turn and when a 3rd heart hit the river, David bets 10K into a 42K pot and Gabe saids thats a strong bet.

Umm, Davids bet seems more like a block bet/scared bet. Does Gabe know even what a 10K bet into a 42K pot means? Besides that, Phil acts all horrible and begins to talk to himself like hes beat, even though he is. Does he even know David Williams could be block betting and he could just raise the pot on the river there to take it down?

He just assumes David hit his flush or something. That is what a weak tight player thinks. It's like whenever theres a big pot going on he goes real loud but when theirs a hand i don't remeber which one, he raises with AQ and gets called by Antonio's AK and 2 other limpers and he goes "It's getting kinda crowded in here."

I don't hate people but I just dislike Phil Laak's way of speaking. He just talks way too loose but plays so tight. Even in that hand wwith David Williams on the river bet by David, he goes mummbling "I lost 18k already"

Am i the only one that feels this way about Phil Laak? I mean if you talk so loose like Mike Matasow, its great for TV because he plays reckless but Laak is the complete opposite. If you play tight, you shouldn't really talk so loosely when two people get into a big pot when the other 2 players are getting involved.

Anyone agree with my comments or disagree?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Anyone annoyed by Phil Laak?

He's a bit too "cutsey" for me.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 PM

cocaine is a powerful drug
Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 PM

i just find him annoying by what i said. Hes cutesy in a bad way if you know what i mean.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 PM

if anyones annoying its you. die pls
Old 04-05-2007, 07:47 PM

no need for bashing. I just don't like his annoying antics. Even another forum some people agree with me on this.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM

He's called the Unabomber because of his hooded sweatshirt -- not hit play.

I don't mind Phil Laak -- I find him amusing most of the time. I think he's just the kind of person that thinks outload ... he's not really doing it to tilt anyone or get anyone off their game like Matasow is.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM

You realize he's called the Unabomber because of his hooded sweatshirt, not the way he plays or acts, right?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM

unabomber = genius

phil laak = not so much

(not saying he isnt smart, but ted k... cmon)
Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 PM

I'm on the fence...sometimes I think he is hilarious and I think it would be fun to play with him...sometimes I wish he'd shut up.

I think it just depends on the game he is in. If he's in a serious game with a lot of old timers, he is overdoing it, especially the way he talks when there's a big hand and whatnot. If, however it's a friendly game with Antonio and/or a lot of the younger guys that like to talk and BS, I find his commentary pretty hilarious.