Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Is not believing in gay rights biggoted?

I fully agree. But without taking action (read: gay couples adopting kids) no one will ever 'get used to' the idea. Which in turn will lead to tolerance and eventually acceptance. The same arugment can be made for the civil rights movement in the '60s.

Of course the kid will have a harder time growing up. But hopefully not AS hard as a kid in the same situation a generation ago. And hopefully in ten years from now it will be even more widely accepted.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, sort of. There's really no arguing that the Bible condemns homosexuality.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible also condems bacon, however not many christians allow this to affect their breakfast choices.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont care if gays want to get married, but I feel sorry for the kid that they adopt, and not because I think they will be bad parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? Because other kids will make fun of him? I think this may have been the case 10 years ago, but not anymore. But I suppose it depends where you live. The same could be said for kids from interracial parents. I think we (the collective we) have come a long way, and people are a lot more progressive now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other kids wasnt really what I was refering too, yes, maybe sooner or later this thinking will be wiped out, but I seriously doubt it. Even if it is, gays are a very tiny percentage of America, it doesnt matter how much people outside the family accepts them, a child is not stupid, they will realize a lot younger that having two same-sex parents is different from the general population, much before the time that they can be logicaly taught that there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many openly gay posters are there on 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know of myself and BigSteve. I'm not someone who tries to advertise it or let it define who I am and I can only speculate that it's because of similar reasons that we aren't aware of more openly gay posters. Maybe a Kinsey-esque 1-5 scale poll would be interesting? Though I assume it's been done before. I'd wager you'd get about 3% or so that are just plain gay.

If BigSteve didn't say it in every post, it would take people a while to catch on. I understand (or think I do at least) that it comes from a desire to be recognized and it does bring about a certain freedom to be able to tell thousands of people "I'm GAY" but it turns out that it's actually one of the things I like least about BigSteve. And if you're reading this, please don't be offended. Not everyone likes everything about everyone and I'm just trying to illustrate a point.

I really don't think I have anything more to say about the topic at hand, other than to reply to something Guids said

[ QUOTE ]
I dont care if gays want to get married, but I feel sorry for the kid that they adopt, and not because I think they will be bad parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with you unfortunately. Right now there's no chance I'd want a kid, I can't stand kids half the time. However, I have pondered that perhaps someday I'd want a little rascal of my own and I can't think of anything more meaningful between two people than raising a child but I don't consider it an option. The ridicule of society for having two fathers would most likely be unbearable for any kid.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do you say to the little girl who wants to ask her mom about her first muenstral cycle...oh wait she has two dads. I'm not anti gay I'm pro children.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a single dad raising a daughter. I guess she's screwed? There is nobody in my family who can help her? That's not something I can help her with, or point her towards appropriate help?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the insight Jack. Very interesting to hear that perspective from a gay man. And I'm not suggesting that gay couples adopt kids to be trailblazers and set the world straight. I think, if anything, that a kid growing up knowing he was basically a cause more than a child would be a horrible thing. But how can we as a society expect people to accept the things that we accept without doing anything about it?

Maybe it's different with two dads, but I know a girl that was raised by two women and she's the coolest, most well-adjusted person I know. (I know - sample size, but still...)
Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM

The way I have always scene it is marriage is a religious issue. Not a government issue. If a religion doesn't want to marry two people Male or female then that is there choice. But the government has no make a civil contract between two people illegal. If it is already legal for two people of the different sexes. If 9 people want to marry each other who cares.

U can make millions of arguments about why not to. Take medical insurance's. If a guy marries 9 women and they normally give insurance for all of his dependents they should have things in the contract stating how many dependents they guy should be aloud to have. The max number they will cover.

For the people that say it will rip apart the country and destroy the values of the country. Put the crack pipe down and open your eyes. At least 50% of the people that post here that are married will get divorced. I know of several gay couples that have stayed together and will stay together. I think if anything it would improve the numbers on divorces. If it is a religious argument then fine. I can not argue with your religious beliefs those are your rights. Religion has no business in our government. The country is ruled by laws not commandments. Having to guys marry each other is not going to screw your marriage up. If u think it will then there are alot more things wrong with your marriage then to gay people marrying each other.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 PM

I've said this before but I think its important for bigots to know that it is ok think homosexuality is a wrong and yet be for gay rights at the same time.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 PM

ask yourself this question, in what preference would you want to be raised: by a mom & dad, two dads, two moms, 1 dad, 1 mom, no parents. Assume that all parents are equally as good at parenting.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 PM

The ridicule of society for having two fathers would most likely be unbearable for any kid.

This is dumb.

The kid named Harold Dick survives. The kid with the autistic brother survives. The kid with a dad in prison and a mom on crack survives. The kid with no money survives. The kid with a lisp survives. The morbidly obese, acne covered grease stain survives.

The kid with two dads will survive. For a couple years the classmates say "you're parents are fgs!" The kid says "shut the [censored] up" and then all of a sudden it's not sixth grade anymore and no one cares.
Closed Thread