Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: calling all-in with AK (again)

If's he's been as LAG as you insinuate... I think it's a tough call, but one you have to make. Chance is too great of you having him dominated with A-Q,J,10 and the like. If you add any suited K's to his range too gotta make the call. I could see folding if you hadn't already put 20% of your stack in the pot, but after that I'm not mucking AK here. Folding is probably a mistake, but a marginal one against a LAG player.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is probably a mistake, but a marginal one against a LAG player.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Read this back to yourself.

2) ?????

3) Profit

Hint: 2 is realise that what you said was total nonsense
Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 AM

I fold here. Its a close fold and you probably are ahead but Villain Cl could be trapping here with a big pair knowing that you could quiet possibly call with hands that are behind.

That said he could be doing this with air too. Either way I wait for a better spot than here,
Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you think this particular player is very tricky or aggressive, wait till you have a real hand and not just A high.

[/ QUOTE ]AK is a real hand.

[ QUOTE ]
i don't necesarrily think it is a bad call, but i have folded AK before in a huge tournament like this and had the 2nd biggest stack (i was big stack in the final table) show QQ

[/ QUOTE ]Would you be as proud of your fold if villain showed 22?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you think this particular player is very tricky or aggressive, wait till you have a real hand and not just A high.

[/ QUOTE ]AK is a real hand.

[ QUOTE ]
i don't necesarrily think it is a bad call, but i have folded AK before in a huge tournament like this and had the 2nd biggest stack (i was big stack in the final table) show QQ

[/ QUOTE ]Would you be as proud of your fold if villain showed 22?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to ring his bell about 890 being a 'huge tournament'.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM

this looks like an easy call to me.

i also don't think this is anything like the other situation. here, you don't have the payout implications (not even at the FT yet), you don't have a stack that gives you significant prizepool equity regardless of what you do here, positions are different, SB can be restealing quite wide here, BB can be moving in wide on his stack.

i really can't see any possible reason to fold this other than SB being a total, complete rock who doesn't reraise anything less than AA/KK.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold here. Its a close fold and you probably are ahead but Villain Cl could be trapping here with a big pair knowing that you could quiet possibly call with hands that are behind.

That said he could be doing this with air too. Either way I wait for a better spot than here,

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?!?!?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

None of this makes any sense. You fold even though you say you are likely ahead? Just quit playing now please.

Wait for a better spot? It doesnt get much [censored] better than this!!

Youre only dominated by two hands and flip or dominate the rest. CALL ALL DAY!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 AM

For those saying fold, you can't be saying it for cEV reasons, right?

If that's the case, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's a call, because unless the payout structure is completely bizarre, cEV and $EV aren't going to diverge significantly here, and none of the other arguments hold enough weight to swing things. To address dedor's post with the laid out arguments for folding:

[ QUOTE ]
1. If we fold and the big stack win, the table will break up and i presumably wont have a big stack to my left. this will be a huge advantage for me. (a point mentioned by sethypooh21)

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly, but you could still end up in a bad position relative to a big stack. That's a pretty crappy reason to fold, and doesn't impact your equity much.
[ QUOTE ]
2. at best case I'm 72% favorite , if my read is correct and he is doing it with any 2 (live cards) so I am only 63% favorite, at worse case I'm 45% underdog. (lets assume he is not doing it with KK or AA).

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting a sick overlay in this pot, especially because the shortie could easily have a worse ace or Kx and still push here. So you have a huge cEV edge. I don't see how this is an argument to fold.
[ QUOTE ]
3. Although my main concerns is the big stack , there are 2 all-ins here. this means that I need a much better hand to call this because the short stack might be doing this with an A or a K taking one of my outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uhm, okay, but if the shortie somehow wins the main pot, you can still make a profit on this hand by just beating the SB even if you lose to the shortie. So you don't even HAVE to win the main pot to profit here.
[ QUOTE ]
4. my stack size will be still very good after folding ( 5 in chips out of 18 or 19).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the best argument for folding, but I'm pretty sure that cEV and $EV will not diverge significantly until you get deeper into the FT.

As far as your arguments for calling, you missed a big one.

You have a TON of equity (at least even money) in this pot getting better way better than even money on your call.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is really a close one because i also don't want to risk my tourney even if I'm against 26 which i am only 66% favorite.
tough tough call

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell did this get by without getting criticized at least a million times

Edit: I think it is nice of you guys who actually know how to play to give advice here, but you should probably not waste your time on this guy.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:08 AM

Play to win the tourney. You have to win these flips eventually... best spot is here. You do not care about the BBs hand... it doesn't even matter. You have 30k to cover the BB and 140k against the big stack. BB hand is inconsequential her since it's AI for two giant stacks. You're only beating the re-raising isoalting big stack... which is re-raising your button "steal attempt" (for all he knows if you've also been very agro).