Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: The donk logic confuses me (Stuper hand)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm a donk, because if I were the BB and had A9, 99, or 55, I'd be betting between $250-$300 into that pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think OP is calling the BB a donk, in fact what he says is it's so early that he doesn't have reads. Instead, I think he's using the word "donk" to describe the type of bet that was made (EP and ahead of the original aggressor).

Personally though I think the correct play here with a set of 9s or 5s would be to check raise. With 3 players yet to act, it would be highly unlikely it gets checked through, especially with the Ace on board. With a set, you let someone make one more play to collect a little value then close the door with a check raise. I think this is what is puzzling the OP, a set would either probe or check raise, so does BB have two pair? would he PSB a flush draw? Do you think I have 6 clean outs (2-As, 3-Js, 1-BDNFD).
Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm a donk, because if I were the BB and had A9, 99, or 55, I'd be betting between $250-$300 into that pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think OP is calling the BB a donk, in fact what he says is it's so early that he doesn't have reads. Instead, I think he's using the word "donk" to describe the type of bet that was made (EP and ahead of the original aggressor).

Personally though I think the correct play here with a set of 9s or 5s would be to check raise. With 3 players yet to act, it would be highly unlikely it gets checked through, especially with the Ace on board. With a set, you let someone make one more play to collect a little value then close the door with a check raise. I think this is what is puzzling the OP, a set would either probe or check raise, so does BB have two pair? would he PSB a flush draw? Do you think I have 6 clean outs (2-As, 3-Js, 1-BDNFD).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what OP was referring to as the donk act. This is a clear C/R spot and villain donked by betting out with PSB. Probably a noob (like me) protecting a set but tipping his hand in the meantime.....

This thread helped me. But I'm an idiot. Thanx!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 AM

Its already been covered but this is a pretty easy fold IMO.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:54 AM

with no read on the player I think it's a fold.
though it's a very close one
Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, seriously. We've gotten responses in this thread that AJ doesn't play well OOP, that hero shouldn't minraise preflop, and then something about SNG strategy. What the [censored]? Are you people that bad at reading comprehension? How do you expect to make good decisions in the heat of battle if, having the time to read and think about your decisions, you can't even get the preflop action, position, or TYPE OF GAME right? [censored], you should be embarrassed! Don't post if you can't read.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] YOU AND THE GAP-TOOTHED HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!!!111!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 AM

Well the UTG player did only min raise so the big blind is probably going to call his raise pre flop with literally any two cards. That's what makes this especially difficult. Had it been the UTG player min raising, we would be able to come up with a range. As for the big blind, he has a very broad range. He could have a number of hands. I will agree with you that he probably wouldn't lead the flop with a big hand because everyone loves to slowplay. That is what makes AK/Q not likely. You probably would have heard a re raise from him preflop with AK, maybe even AQ (AQ suited, just because you are so deep stacked early in these tournaments). Anywho, I do not think AK/Q is in his range. I do feel however Aces up COULD be in his range (though still unlikely). If there weren't two spades on the flop, he would check Aces up (though he still may check Aces up here hoping no spade falls or maybe even a check raise) Nonetheless, I think you have the best hand here. You have a good kicker (considering his range), like you mentioned he probably would not lead this flop with this monster. Not only not lead the flop but for what he lead. He lead pot. Which is what makes me believe even more so that we have the best hand. If he did have Aces up, I do not believe he would lead pot. I think he would have lead for 150-200 with Aces up/a strong hand (if he is even advanced enough to lead with a set). Also, did you happen to see how fast he bet on the flop? Generally whenever I see a player make a quick bet/call, they tend to be drawing. To me, I really think he has a hand like 67 spades (straight and flush draw). He could also have a hand like K 10 spades (just a dry flush draw). I just don't believe he would lead pot with a great hand.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 AM

QUESTION

Say hero just called PF with AK, same action. Your move?

I'd still feel uncomfortable here. I'd call, but how to I face a PSB on the turn? Am I really felting with one pair and without a good read?

This makes me think that bumping it up a bit PF with AJs here is a good idea. Makes this hand easier to play and easy to steal against one opponent. Calling PF is also fine IMO obv, but it makes the flop a clear fold.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION

I'd still feel uncomfortable here. I'd call, but how to I face a PSB on the turn? Am I really felting with one pair and without a good read?

This makes me think that bumping it up a bit PF with AJs here is a good idea. Makes this hand easier to play and easy to steal against one opponent. Calling PF is also fine IMO obv, but it makes the flop a clear fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I said this already.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I said this already.

[/ QUOTE ]

doh man, was hoping no one would notice. now i just feel like a fool trying to freeride on your brilliancy.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM

My range here if you get the random, EP flop bet, is A9, A5, or 95 (remember he is in the blind). yes, people love to slowplay, and with 55 i'd be doing jsut that. But early in a donkament I prefer to play fast, under the theory that any number of people here have Ax, x probably being a good kicker. Can't count the times that someone with AQ RR here and I've won huge pots or stacked them. So my range here is exactly any two pair hand.