Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM

Default The donk logic confuses me (Stuper hand)

Tournament has only been running like 15 minutes so no real specific read on this player. Hes basically an unknown, hasn't done anything terribly out of line.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t15/t30
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1650
UTG+1: t2640
MP1: t1200
MP2: t1880
MP3: t2750
CO: t3280
Hero: t1790
SB: t1000
BB: t1740

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t60</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t105)</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t165)</font>, SB calls t45 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t225)</font>, BB calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t270)</font>.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t300, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets t300</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero?

Heres what confuses me. Most stuper donks upon hitting a big hand like two pair will slow play, or certainly not lead out a full pot bet. Could he just call AK/AQ here pre? Certainly AQ, possibly AK. Could he lead a draw here?

Your play sirs?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: The donk logic confuses me (Stuper hand)

I don't like any play here but I reluctantly fold.

I'm not familiar at all with bigger tournaments, but if this is a donk who's jumping up to play in this for some fun (or satted in, I'm not familiar with this tournament), he very well could be protecting A9/A5 from draws that he fear may check behind that might be able to fear their kicker.

Any raise to find out where you're at pot commits you, and you don't want to get all your chips in w/ only a pair and a weak kicker.

A call is the other option in my mind but I don't really like it, I guess if a spade comes and he looks afraid of it then you can try and rep it, but if he C/Rs you you might have to fold leaving yourself w/ 800-1000. And if a non-spade comes and he fires more then you still have no more information than when he made this bet, leaving you with an even tougher call.

I'd just fold here, his range is probably A9/A5/AQ/87s-T9s, NFD 4/5 of the time, and a set of nines or fives the other 20%.

You're pretty far behind to everything but a flush draw.

Being an occasional satellite donk myself, this looks like (if there are satellites to this tourny, I'm not sure what it is) a nervous satellite player trying to protect his A9/55/99 from a flush draw. This would be a weird play for a donk, IMO.... they're more fond of the check-call. AQ is possible but unlikely, IMO. He'd call pre-flop but probably would check or at least not PSB the flop.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM

He has AT so shove for value.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM

&lt;-------self proclaimed and accused of being, DONK. I have 2 pair here minimum, probably 555. Fold
Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 PM

I'd call.

I suppose I should edit to mention that the reason I call is b/c most of my opponents think that they should bet more w/marginal hands here like Ax (where x is small).
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM

id fold
Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM

Why are you assuming he is a donkey? This bet is pretty standard (although I'd prob bet ~250) with a hand like A9 or 55.

fold
Old 04-11-2007, 02:48 AM

Obv depends in my opinion on buy-in. Usually you shouldn`t expect to be behind vs a random donk.
What confuses me also is the size of the bet. Usually ppl donk smaller with a FD...
I`d really wanna scope him.
Think I`d still shove it in because its a donkament and i love doubling up early. Obv this assumes that the buy-in is lower than 50$.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 AM

Bond --

It's two pair or a bigger ace too often to continue. If so many players weren't maniacally obsessed with protecting against draws, it might be closer.

Fold. I don't love doing it but I don't think it's too close.

--Nate
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It's two pair or a bigger ace too often to continue. If so many players weren't maniacally obsessed with protecting against draws, it might be closer.

[/ QUOTE ]