Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: The Golf thread

iggy,
riverwalk is one of the more expensive places to play in san diego at $75 a pop. it ends up being a pretty good deterrent.

i suck too! lets do Torrey once you get residency for <$30. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 11:08 AM

iggy,

I guess since you didn't own clubs I inferred that you suck really bad. Never mind.

Don't discount the little course though - I used to get out there a couple of weeks in advance to prepare and would play it all day. Around lunch every day I would hook on with a group of attorneys that would come out to play a quick round and gamble. A few years ago I went back and while the condition wasn't as good as I remember, it was still a fun little track. Cheap + fast are also big pluses. Afterwards you can walk across the street to the old town area where there are at least a couple of good restaurants.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iggy,
riverwalk is one of the more expensive places to play in san diego at $75 a pop. it ends up being a pretty good deterrent.

i suck too! lets do Torrey once you get residency for <$30. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely! It's like the Open is following me around, this year in Pittsburgh, next year in SD.

River Walk seems to have some decent Twilight rates. $39 for after 4PM on weekdays. $25 anytime after 6PM. I mean hell, for $25, if the place is decent, who cares if you can't get all 18 in.

[ QUOTE ]
iggy,

I guess since you didn't own clubs I inferred that you suck really bad. Never mind.

Don't discount the little course though - I used to get out there a couple of weeks in advance to prepare and would play it all day. Around lunch every day I would hook on with a group of attorneys that would come out to play a quick round and gamble. A few years ago I went back and while the condition wasn't as good as I remember, it was still a fun little track. Cheap + fast are also big pluses. Afterwards you can walk across the street to the old town area where there are at least a couple of good restaurants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do suck, but I'm not completely clueless when it comes to golf. My problems are consistency, mental and short game, which that's pretty much golf in a nutshell [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have just never been dedicated enough to buy a set of my own, especially because my roomies hand-me-downs were somewhat decent. When my buddies are scratch and 10 and I can't compete with them, it looks like I suck hardcore.

I'll definitely have to hittup that course though. I like small courses. I got a little crappy park course right by me that I go and walk 9 after work a lot. It's fun times and also quite relaxing. I've ate in Old Town a couple times and wasn't disappointed so that's definitely an added bonus.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm currently playing the Launcher Ti 460 (9.5) w/Aldila NV 65-S.

I hit the Cleaveland Launcher Hi-Bore at a golf show a few weeks ago and it felt very solid. Worth a tryout... Will probably pick one up next season.

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/woods.html
Old 04-01-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice about how to get back to playing often after not playing more than 5-6 times in two years. I'm a sophmore in college and haven't played hardly at all since high school (I played 4 years of Varsity in high school and some reasonably competitive junior golf when I was younger). The main problem is that the few times I have played I haven't been satified (shooting high 80s). I think this is mainly because I am highly competetive and have played all those rounds with my dad (and some also with my grandpa and uncle where we gamble on the course) and haven't faired so well comparably with how I was doing in my high school days (I was decent, but nothing special). Is there a good way to get back into the swing of things or is it just basically a go to the range and iron out my swing for a few weeks type situation? I'm just tired of leaving the course pissed and not wanting to go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the great things about golf is that you can play it for the rest of your life. Like you, I pretty much stopped playing in college. I played a little here and there in my 20s, then at about age 30 I joined a golf club and started playing 60-70 rounds a year. And now I'd take my game at 38 over my game at 18 any day of the week.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:59 PM

1. Augusta: Unreal. We got to play it right before their members tournament (the Jamboree), which is followed by the Masters. Bleachers were up and the flowers were in bloom. By far the most beautiful golf course I have ever seen. Not a single blade of grass out of order.

This course is not that hard, relative to expectations. No harder than any top course really, provided you can putt. The majority of the difficulty is in the greens, as they are lightning, extremely undulating, and impossible to read. Thank god for the caddies, because without them I would have had no prayer on the greens.

Some other highlights:

-#13 is literally a U turn. It is very hard to make yourself hit a snaphook intentionally, but that is what the tee shot requires there.

-#15 is really really easy. Like driver 5 iron easy.

-The fairway bunkers are extremely deep, which you can't tell on TV. The bunkers to the left of #5 fairway are literally 10 feet deep, and steep. Watching Mickelson birdie out of one of them left me speechless.

A few others, quickly:

Pine Valley: Amazing experience. Very very hard. If you miss a fairway, good night. #5, a 230 yard par 3 with a false front green, is the hardest hole I have every played.

Perfect course conditions. Amazing experience. Would rate it my #2 favorite behind augusta. Would love to see the pros play here, but it will never happen.

Cypress Point: Exceptionally beautiful, but the course is a bit overrated. It's only like 6500 yards, and wide open. Don't get me wrong, it was really cool. Just not that hard.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limon, most 15+ handicaps can't hit a driver properly or consistently to save their life.

Yes, if you can bomb 280 in middle of fairway consistently, bomb away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually most of my buddies that are 15+ hit their drivers better than just about all of their other clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet a large sum of money that no one with that handicap has their driver as their 'best' club.

[ QUOTE ]
hitting the driver is a fun part of the game for most people even if they only bomb it 1/100 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people prefer to score lower when actually playing a round of golf, and play bombs away at the driving range. I can hit a ball 280 straight, just not that consistently.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 AM

My golf tips:

Work on your fundamentals, these items pretty much need to be perfect before every swing in order to execute the shot you want.

*Grip
*Posture
*Alignment
*Ball address
*Weight shift (For a right handed golfer: Towards right side for the driver, left side for wedges)

Once your setup PERFECTLY, the other two items IMO are:
*Swing plane
*Tempo

Also,
You should know the exact shot that you want to hit before selecting your club. You should also have a 'pre shot routine'.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM

FYI, here
is a link to my report on the Monday practice round this year.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Tuq,
Two of my clubs old assistant pro's are currently working at Ventana Canyon in Tucson. Every played there? There are a group of us thinking about making a trip down there to visit them soon.