Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 AM

Default The Golf thread

Well, its spring and that means is rapidly approaching golf season across the nation. Golf and poker share a lot in common and I'm sure there are many golfers here on 2p2. Lets use this thread to discuss courses, equipment and general golf tips.

For starters, Im hoping to have progressed enough this summer to play Bethpage Black around August, but I doubt I will. From what Ive heard from friends its a really nice course and is insanely difficult, and I think it would be fun to take a try at it.

Also too, Im probably gonna be in the market for a completely new set of clubs. Right now I have a friend that is getting new clubs and he has a really nice set of Taylor Made's that arent too old, but I dont know the exact model.

For drivers Im debating splurging on a 2007 model or accepting I am not a baller and getting a leftover 2006 or 2005 model. Any recommendations for drivers?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: The Golf thread

It's been my experience that there are so many great choices of equipment out there now, you almost just have to pick 3 or 4 sets, demo them, get fitted, and purchase. You're really not going to find much now that isn't straight, forgiving, and long. It really comes down to what fits your eye, and what has the materials that's going to suit your swing. (loft, flex, etc.)

I've always been fond of Ping irons and Callaway woods, and I'm not likely to change unless I borrow one and absolutely pound it - keeping in mind that borrowed clubs ALWAYS play better than purchased clubs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Here's a great place to get acquainted with what's new on the market, and to narrow your search down.

golf digest hotlist

If you haven't yet, you should definitely go see a reputable pro that can analyze your swing and fit you with a set to your specs.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 PM

E,

For the life of me I can't figure out why people pay full retail for new drivers. Well, I can. They HAVE to have the latest technology. It WILL straighten their drive out, give them ten more yards, and mow the lawn and take out the trash. The depreciation is ridiculous. Just go to a Golfsmith or other used equipment place and pick up one dropped off by one of those "gotta have it" goons at a fraction of the price. Hell, I'm still using a Taylor Made 580 from 2003 and it hasn't hurt my game any.

As for Bethpage, yikes if it plays that hard normally. That's got to be like a six hour round. I know how slow the munis play out here and the skill level of the average golfer on them.

Phoenix has a municipal course (Papago) in the heart of town right by the airport and Tempe that has a bunch of bids to dump millions into renovating it a la Bethpage. It's definitely as good a piece of land and the course can be stretched by 200-300 yards pretty easily. If it ever goes down I would be surprised if it wasn't talked about in the same page as Bethpage Black.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 PM

I'd be interested to hear from the resident golf experts on graphite v. steel shafts for irons.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested to hear from the resident golf experts on graphite v. steel shafts for irons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graphite shafts aren't good. They give up too much accuracy.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Graphite shafts aren't good. They give up too much accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this - I spent a few hours trying out 6-7 sets of irons and had much better control with steel.

Anyone have a good hybrid recommendation?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
E,

For the life of me I can't figure out why people pay full retail for new drivers. Well, I can. They HAVE to have the latest technology. It WILL straighten their drive out, give them ten more yards, and mow the lawn and take out the trash. The depreciation is ridiculous. Just go to a Golfsmith or other used equipment place and pick up one dropped off by one of those "gotta have it" goons at a fraction of the price. Hell, I'm still using a Taylor Made 580 from 2003 and it hasn't hurt my game any.

As for Bethpage, yikes if it plays that hard normally. That's got to be like a six hour round. I know how slow the munis play out here and the skill level of the average golfer on them.

Phoenix has a municipal course (Papago) in the heart of town right by the airport and Tempe that has a bunch of bids to dump millions into renovating it a la Bethpage. It's definitely as good a piece of land and the course can be stretched by 200-300 yards pretty easily. If it ever goes down I would be surprised if it wasn't talked about in the same page as Bethpage Black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey tuq, if i remember right, doesn't one of the holes back up to the Cheetah's habitat in the zoo? I remember seeing a bunch of balls in his cage and always knowing no old fart is going fishing in there w/ his ball grabber.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey tuq, if i remember right, doesn't one of the holes back up to the Cheetah's habitat in the zoo? I remember seeing a bunch of balls in his cage and always knowing no old fart is going fishing in there w/ his ball grabber.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I had to think about this one and the answer must be that they're coming from Rolling Hills, an executive course on the other side of the zoo from Papago, which probably never gets within 300 yards of it. IIRC Rolling Hills abuts the zoo for a couple of holes.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Good call on the thread!

I'm rebuilding my entire set this year. Yesterday I picked up a Ping si3 for cheap and am pretty happy with it, now thinking about getting the fairway wood to match.

From ineedaride's link, I'm thinkin about gettin the Cobra FP irons for 500. But yeah I don't know about buying new when I should be able to find some 1-2 year old irons for much cheaper. Any general recommendations out there?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Haha, I had to think about this one and the answer must be that they're coming from Rolling Hills, an executive course on the other side of the zoo from Papago, which probably never gets within 300 yards of it. IIRC Rolling Hills abuts the zoo for a couple of holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right! Rolling hills had like a east or west course and the east one ran along the zoo. You could hear all the animals getting rowdy and stuff as you lined up your approach.