Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Beat: Parents Want 50K From Me For College

I wish you the best. But please don't feel this is a bad beat.
I endured 5 yrs of uncle sugar(US Army) and will carry metal for the rest of my life to pay for college. Yet I don't regret a single moment of it. 2yrs of CC(saved a ton of $), 2 1/2 to finish undergrad, thw 3yrs to finish grad school. All while working full time and not missing a single thing of the college experience.

Adulthood hits you square in the face sometimes. You just have to deal with it and learn.

One thing I did do, and I hope you will think about it in the future, is to start funding college accounts for my kids from the day they were born. I want them to have the choice of going to college without any burdens such as the one you are being hit with.
They both have fully funded education trusts at 4 & 7 yrs old.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Telling your kids to save up for spending money or books is one thing. Telling them to suddenly pay tuition when you are at an enormously expensive school is [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT x100

If my mom said to me, "You should start saving money because your older brother kept borrowing when he went to school," I would take that as, if I want to get drunk on the weekends, I'll need to pay for that myself.

And if mom wants me to start helping out with tuition she should 1) have told me about this possibility before I chose an expensive school and 2) not puss around about it and make ambiguous statements. You guys can talk all you want about "the real world" and paying your way, but getting the rug pulled out from under you by people who you love and trust is not something that should be a common life experience.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stop being so [censored] bitter and just sympathize with a kid who got handed a 50k bill out [censored] nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because 18-years of total and complete support just isn't enough, dammit! We need to pamper them until they're at least 22-23! WTF? Selfish parents.

Forget your medication today, NozeCandy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, miss the point much? 18 years is [censored] plenty if the parents make it clear that the total support will stop at 18 years. Letting your kid go to an expensive school then being like LOL PAY ME BACK two years later is [censored] irresponsible parenting bitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that's not what happened, even OP admits as much:
'So, I guess they never really told me this going into college' = they mentioned it, but I ignored it for a while.

Then the truth comes out!
'Alright, freshman year my mom decidedshe wanted me to save up .... She said when my brother went to college, he had to borrow money constantly, so she didn't want that to happen. At the beginning of sophomore year, my mom thought I should start contributing ..She was also arguing that I should start paying some tuition,...'

= For two years I got several warnings and outright told I would have to come up with some serious dough in the near future, but I stuck my head in the sand! LLAAAALALALALALA I can't hear you, ma!

And then OP later pretends he doesn't know if he can get a student loan from the feds...LOLOL.

'seriously, I just found out about this yesterday'
Um, no, you didn't. See your above quotes. Amazing how easily we can lie to ourselves, isn't it? She told you SIX months ago or more <> just found out.

edit: Referring to parents telling you you're going to have to come up with the money six months ago as 'arguing.' Roflmao. Is saying "I don wanna, I don wanna" an argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you completely took some of this out of context to prove your point, nice job

Alright, freshman year my mom decided she wanted me to save up so I'd have spending money of my own.

spending money, like money for food and leisure

At the beginning of sophomore year, my mom thought I should start contributing by paying for books as well (~1500 a year or so).

1500 a year is most definitely different than what he ended up being asked to pay.

people bitching about him being spoiled, come on, he this is really irresponsible parenting, saying you don't want to pay for your kids tuition that you already started paying because you want to remodel your house. say "that's life" is just stupid, in most situations sure, but your parents are supposed to be people on whom you can rely. sure this isn't true for everyone, but obviously this was true for OP until this point.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 PM

NozeCandy FTW

Also to everyone acting like there is no expectation at all that parents will help pay for college if they can afford it, this couldn't be further from the truth. Kids from well off families can't get financial aid because the schools expect that their parents will help them out
Old 04-05-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NozeCandy FTW

Also to everyone acting like there is no expectation at all that parents will help pay for college if they can afford it, this couldn't be further from the truth. Kids from well off families can't get financial aid because the schools expect that their parents will help them out

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm on your side, but this is wrong. kids from well-to-do families can't get stuff like interest-free loans and free money(i.e. grants), but they can borrow money at a good student-loan rate just as easily.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM

There is a HUGE hole in this story. Why all of a sudden? What sparked this? Can you afford it? That's really important, I mean telling your kid to pay for their college when they have more than enough to cover it is way different than telling them to get a loan. Where is this $$$ expected to come from in your parents eyes?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kids from well off families can't get financial aid because the schools expect that their parents will

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignorant and/or incredibly stupid.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stop being so [censored] bitter and just sympathize with a kid who got handed a 50k bill out [censored] nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because 18-years of total and complete support just isn't enough, dammit! We need to pamper them until they're at least 22-23! WTF? Selfish parents.

Forget your medication today, NozeCandy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ, miss the point much? 18 years is [censored] plenty if the parents make it clear that the total support will stop at 18 years. Letting your kid go to an expensive school then being like LOL PAY ME BACK two years later is [censored] irresponsible parenting bitches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that's not what happened, even OP admits as much:
'So, I guess they never really told me this going into college' = they mentioned it, but I ignored it for a while.

Then the truth comes out!
'Alright, freshman year my mom decidedshe wanted me to save up .... She said when my brother went to college, he had to borrow money constantly, so she didn't want that to happen. At the beginning of sophomore year, my mom thought I should start contributing ..She was also arguing that I should start paying some tuition,...'

= For two years I got several warnings and outright told I would have to come up with some serious dough in the near future, but I stuck my head in the sand! LLAAAALALALALALA I can't hear you, ma!

And then OP later pretends he doesn't know if he can get a student loan from the feds...LOLOL.

'seriously, I just found out about this yesterday'
Um, no, you didn't. See your above quotes. Amazing how easily we can lie to ourselves, isn't it? She told you SIX months ago or more <> just found out.

edit: Referring to parents telling you you're going to have to come up with the money six months ago as 'arguing.' Roflmao. Is saying "I don wanna, I don wanna" an argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you completely took some of this out of context to prove your point, nice job

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a word is out of context, they are direct quotes.
According to OP's own words [quoted above] his mother told him, 7 months ago, OP was going to pay for some of his tuition. The amount he says is 27% of 2nd semester costs.

Secondly, he was told in mid-2006 that he would need to pay what amounts to 50% of Fall 2007-Spring 2009 tuition, which is plenty of advance warning, esp as OP *brags* he can pull the $$$ out of PStars at any time, and then later pretends he doesn't know if he can get a loan or not. BWWahahahahaha.

Are you really saying that, 'my mom thought I should start contributing ...She was also arguing [telling me flat-out is what he means] that I should start paying some tuition' back in August/Sept 2006 isn't enough advance warning for 2008, 2009, etc? LOL. How many years do you need??

And let's not forget it's OP's choice that half-tuition = $22k a year contribution by him, whether thru loans or his bankroll. Trying to pin that on his mom is hilarious.

Kids with THE WORLD OWES ME attitude are very funny when they get to the real world and are brought up sharply. OP's parents are paying $131k out of $180k, and gave him several months/or years notice about the rest, which he can borrow at any time. Or he can change schools and pay less, I have plenty of friends who did at one point or another. He may not *want* to, but it's his choice.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:41 PM

LOL. I don't think the kid has a "the world owes me" attitude, or a "zomg my parents totally f'd me" attitude. All he said was "Beat". Anytime someone tells you you owe 50k it's a beat in my book...

gg thread?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 AM

I just read through this whole topic and started laughing at all the self-righteous [censored] involved in this topic.

OP had a beat like any other. While I am not pushing for anyone to sympathize with him, I don't see the point of slamming everything into his face. No reason that everyone has to start adding their own pretentious stories. Ignorant and Hypocritical at best. However, just sounds like a lot of DBagging.