Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Beat: Parents Want 50K From Me For College

So, I guess they never really told me this going into college, but apparently my parents have been expecting me to contribute . This years tuition room and board = 45K. They've decided that I owe 6K this year and half of whatever tuition is for the next 2 years (I'm a sophomore, LDO). This really sucks because I really didn't see it coming at all and it's a lot of [censored] money. They think I'm going to take out student loans to pay for it, but [censored] that, they'll be taking checks from WDR Corp or wherever PStars checks come from.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: Beat: Parents Want 50K From Me For College

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. I owe like 30k in student loans at least your parents are willing to pay for something.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 AM

Would've been nice if they could have told you this before starting school.

Has your dad been dipping into your college funds for crack?
Old 03-23-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would've been nice if they could have told you this before starting school.

Has your dad been dipping into your college funds for crack?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are putting in a new kitchen and replacing like 900 Square Feet of tile w/ hardwood floors...also I think a new deck for the 40K pool.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They are putting in a new kitchen and replacing like 900 Square Feet of tile w/ hardwood floors...also I think a new deck for the 40K pool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like they are getting ready to reestablish their swinger lifestyle now that you are out of the house.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
waaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. I owe like 30k in student loans at least your parents are willing to pay for something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 PM

OK, if you are a parent you need to be very, very clear with your kid as to your expectations with monetary issues. Random clues over 2 years without flat out saying they expect X amount of money at X time is really, really bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I missed nothing. I know the story. Were the parents douches for the way they handled it? Sure. But too bad. [censored] happens. He's what, 19 or 20? He's got money. His parents are cutting him loose. That's life. Everyone in this thread whining and bitching about it don't seem to understand the real world. And they aren't asking him to repay his prior two-year's tuition. Miss much?

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is, if you haven't been living in the "real world" your entire life and then get it thrust on you with nothing more than a couple hints to the tune of $50k, by your parents no less, that is really [censored]. I'm not advocating not taking personal responsibility or spoiling kids, but, again, parents need to be very clear with kids.

Telling your kids to save up for spending money or books is one thing. Telling them to suddenly pay tuition when you are at an enormously expensive school is [censored] up.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Unless, of course, he was just bragging about his 200k bankroll. I think that should play a big part of it IMO. I mean if I was forking over money for my kid and they had more $$$ than me and could afford a year of their own schooling I would make them pay as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Telling your kids to save up for spending money or books is one thing. Telling them to suddenly pay tuition when you are at an enormously expensive school is [censored] up.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT x100

If my mom said to me, "You should start saving money because your older brother kept borrowing when he went to school," I would take that as, if I want to get drunk on the weekends, I'll need to pay for that myself.

And if mom wants me to start helping out with tuition she should 1) have told me about this possibility before I chose an expensive school and 2) not puss around about it and make ambiguous statements. You guys can talk all you want about "the real world" and paying your way, but getting the rug pulled out from under you by people who you love and trust is not something that should be a common life experience.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM

tell them this:
"OK dad, i will pay for this but after i finish college do NOT ever expect anything from me, or when you get old and need my help. you are both my parents and you should pay for this, that's how it goes. if you dont ill do whatever i can but dont expect i will be the helpful when the time comes"
yada yada yada
should work [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]