Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker...Ivey Vs. Booth

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I hate live NL cash games. You can play well all day and then get into a super deep ugly spot like this where the decision is equivalent to a weeks worth of grinding.

I would also imagine that its pretty hard to just find another 300k to play with if Phil loses the pot. I mean I know its Phil Ivey but still coming up with that kind of cash before the game ends has to be a pain in the ass.

There was a hand almost exactly like this posted here a few months ago. The hero had KK and I think it was a 98x flop where the villain pushed for about 300 BB. Just about everyone said to fold. I remember even one poster saying that the hero shouldn't have re-raised KK preflop and gotten himself into this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you dont sit with 300k unless you are prepared to lose it. If Phil wasnt prepared to make big calls like this, perhaps he should have bought in for 100k instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I'm not accusing Ivey of playing scared. I'm just saying since losing 300k most likely means he's done for the night or would have to buy back in short (short as in 150 BB or something) a fold might have a higher EV for the hand itself but a worse EV for the session. Its like the same reason you avoid coin-flips in the first stages of a donkament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think buying back in would be the last thing on his mind. Even if he didn't have more cash on him I'd be blown away if someone wouldn't give him a loan.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his pf re raise was way too small.

His decision is obviously really close because its hard to put Brad on such a stupid play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I think he should have made it 19k to go based on those deep of stacks.

I also think Brad would have been much better off raising the pot, and firing a second barrel on preferrential turns instead of making some massive spewful bluff all-in. He would have picked up more of Ivey's money had he called the flop but folded the turn, and might save himself money if he feels like Ivey is going to call the second barrel. Instead he just sort of pushes it all out there, which will net him the pot many times but when it doesnt he loses a crap-ton of money.

In other words, Booth's bluff works most of the time but is still not a +EV bluff in my opinon because of the few times it doesnt work out.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what Barry Greenstein stated about this hand in another thread:

[ QUOTE ]
You people keep missing the key detail on the Brad Booth hand. Phil Ivey thought Brad was some random businessman. He said he had never seen him before (although Brad had played a few sessions on the table adjacent to the big game). Phil called me at the first break and told me about the hand.

At the next break, he told me now that he had played with Brad a little, he would have definitely called with his Kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

tv thread

Hopefully this will enlighten the clueless [kuntsored] posting in this thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Ivey should have done his research about who he was playing..
Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 PM

If this was 100BB deep it would have been a tough call I'd probably would have made it, but come on they were deep as hell, and calling an all in 500BB deep with just an overpair is just insane, even if it was against Yukon who is known for making those crazy moves, it is still a fold.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this was 100BB deep it would have been a tough call I'd probably would have made it, but come on they were deep as hell, and calling an all in 500BB deep with just an overpair is just insane, even if it was against Yukon who is known for making those crazy moves, it is still a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lay down AA/KK in these spots everytime when your deepstacked like this, good players will pick you apart because they will know the best possible hand you could have in this spot is AA/KK and will bluff you out of every pot.

100 BB this is a snap call btw.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lay down AA/KK in these spots everytime when your deepstacked like this, good players will pick you apart because they will know the best possible hand you could have in this spot is AA/KK and will bluff you out of every pot.

100 BB this is a snap call btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a point, but I don't think any other pro would have played that hand like Brad did, as in making that insane overbeat all in on the flop.

It's not like he does that move all the time either, and if he keeps doing moves like that obv the rest of the players would notice and won't get picked apart. Brad can do that move a few times, win a decent amount and get a table image as a maniac. He knows he cant keep making that move, he played it like that in that particular situation but he wont make another play like that any time soon.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:59 PM

Why is it a snap call at 100BB but not at 400BB? Lots of people have made pretty convincing arguments that Ivey regularly gambles big and isn't at all afraid of big wagers when he thinks he has the best of it. Saying that its an easy call 100BBs deep puts too much emphasis on the stack sizes and not enough on the fact that Ivey didn't think he had the best of it. He thought he was beat.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Brian had 800k if i recall right.. Wich makes up for an interesting question imo.

If brad did pull the exact same move on you brian (then and there) Would you've called for 900BB or something.

Or do you mean Ivey's spot, with stack sizes included, not just cards bets.

I who knows nuttin, thinks you would fold pretty quickly right since the stack sizes do matter a whole lot more there? Or is there lil differene between real deep and ocean deep?

EDIT: now that i think of it, this might be clear cut.

Brian to upto what amount would you've called in Iveys spot?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 PM

booth didnt put ivey on that strong a hand. he thought ivey missed his ace king. ivey put booth on a set, which is why he folded. but you wonder, how could ivey have put booth on a set since he overbet? if booth had a set wouldnt he have checked and then reraised? on the surface, you slow play a strong hand and bet hard on a bluff. but when your playing on that level of skill, reverse reverse physcollogy comes into play. so ivey put booth on a set BECAUSE he overbet.

this is how i saw it, im not saying that his is how it went. any comments are welcome.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it a snap call at 100BB but not at 400BB? Lots of people have made pretty convincing arguments that Ivey regularly gambles big and isn't at all afraid of big wagers when he thinks he has the best of it. Saying that its an easy call 100BBs deep puts too much emphasis on the stack sizes and not enough on the fact that Ivey didn't think he had the best of it. He thought he was beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

because 400bb deep booth can correctly show up with hands that beat ivey that aren't AA...