Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: No limit Holdem Thory and Practice is to short

Hi Deacsoft,

Ive been playing for 8 months now and i feel ready to learn more. I show a small profit in my game and i want to reach that next level. What worries me is i dont want to read a book that can throw me in the wrong direction and what concerns me most is sometimes the authors seem unsure of themselves in this book in certain sections. I know Sklanky is a master in all limit type games thats were he seems more comfartable writing and from what i see and hear Ed was also great in limit holdem but not very experienced in No Limit at the time he wrote this book.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM

I like NLHTAP, but some things don't gel with me. I like the sections on bet sizing and controlling the pot. But, some of the ideas seem a bit optimistic. At one point it is suggested that you call a pot+1/3 sized bet with a gutshot because if you hit it you will stack your opponent. I won't be making that call. Maybe I'm missing something, or not ready for this, but I don't see getting paid off enough to justify this against many players. Most of the book I like, and I'm actually rereading it now. I have not really looked much at the Sklansky-Chubov rankings either...but I will.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like NLHTAP, but some things don't gel with me. I like the sections on bet sizing and controlling the pot. But, some of the ideas seem a bit optimistic. At one point it is suggested that you call a pot+1/3 sized bet with a gutshot because if you hit it you will stack your opponent. I won't be making that call. Maybe I'm missing something, or not ready for this, but I don't see getting paid off enough to justify this against many players. Most of the book I like, and I'm actually rereading it now. I have not really looked much at the Sklansky-Chubov rankings either...but I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole idea of any book is to get the person to think a great deal about the concepts etc and decide what is the best and worst I can learn from this.
I am assuming that the person is at intermediate level otherwise thier thinking could be way off to decipher the concepts etc.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what book?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one.

[/ QUOTE ]Nice Hand
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 PM

actually i have applied NLHTAP to my tournement game along with HOH 1 and HOH2 and it has improved my tournement game alot. I find NLHTAP more useful in tourneys rather then cash games.