Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: 4/180 : 99 responding to a raise and reraise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I take it that the main reason we cant call here is that UTG could well shove this?? So say we were on the button and raised, sb re raised and bb called, we would be fine to call this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Maybe if it were heads-up we could call. But against to opponents, our 99 is not likely to be the best hand and too many overcards can come on the flop that we have to fold to. The only other reason to call is for set value, but we don't have enough implied odds to call (need somewhere around 10:1).

So reasons not to call: 1) No implied odds. 2) Our hand isn't strong enough to hold up unimproved against two villains' ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure if I am saying the same thing in a different manner, but I don't like to play for set value with 25% of my chips.

With the action in front of you, its likely you'll have to hit a set to win and the odds are against it, thus I don't like losing 25% of my chips a large majority of the time when I miss.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 4/180 : 99 responding to a raise and reraise

The reraiser is showing real strength here, you need a monster hand to get involved in this pot. JJ+, I am probably folding AK here as well.

Calling is a catastrophe, if the flop comes J high you have no idea where you are at. If the flop comes out with all cards lower than a 9 odds are that one of the original raisers will bet substantially and u are essentially asked to risk your stack when u really have no idea if you are ahead or not. Prime example of where being in position hurts you after the flop.