Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Re: flop nut strait are my bets messed up?

scrapper, you don't seem to be "getting it"

You lead out because you want a ton of people to call, and then hopefully get raised in late position....then you can reraise either getting calls because now the pot is big, or at least trapping a lot of dead money, and hopefully getting all in against 1 or 2 other people with worse hands.

It doesn't matter that it is not going to get "checked through" What matters is that if you had led out for $2 or 3...multiple people probably would have called....instead you check/call and basically push....that's an absolutely horrible line. I would insta-fold two pair against your line because it's the freaking nuts like 100% of the time.

If you just start leading for PSB's or even slight overbets, i'm thinking you get calls from a lot of these people that folded out. If you get raised, that's even better.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Remember one reason why Doyle never c/r: If you check raise, they only have one bet in the pot. If you bet, and they raise, they've got two and now they're pretty tied in. That way, when you come over the top (or lead the turn), the pots too big for them to get away. Stack the KQ, KT, QT, TT as soon as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fantastic point. You check raise to $15 when villians only have $2 in the pot. This is an easy 2 pair laydown as it's pretty much guaranteed that they're beat. However if you lead out with a pot sized bet and are raised, you can easily push here and it makes 2 pair much more difficult to lay down since villians have that much more in the pot. Doyle hasn't been doing this for all these years by getting lucky...
Old 02-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Hi BalugaWhale,

I'm currently re-reading Doyles' chapter on NL play in his Super System (can't find my TOP [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) and I love this strategy! Lots of nuggets in his book.

Garon