Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 01:35 AM

Default flop nut strait are my bets messed up?

Is there a better way to play this? I did what I did because I did not want to chop the pot. Is that being too paranoid? I was gonna wait for the turn to make a move but when it gets re-raised I did not want to wait for something that gives me the chop to come up. Edit.. or obviously the board to pair and me possibly lose the whole thing.

Blinds: $0.25/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $22.60
UTG+1: $25.00
MP1: $10.75
MP2: $34.30
MP3: $28.65
CO: $10.55
Button: $28.10
SB: $25.15
BB: $4.55

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls $0.25, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, SB (poster) checks, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.25, 8 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc3333">Button bets $1</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $1, <font color="#cc3333">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, CO folds, Button calls $1, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc3333">MP1 8.5 $8.5</font>.
Uncalled bets: $3.5 returned to Hero.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($29.25, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $29.25)

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($29.25, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $29.25)
Old 02-20-2006, 01:39 AM

Default Re: flop nut strait are my bets messed up?

I lead out at this pot for a pot-sized bet. You don't want this to check around and let the board pair on the turn. I hate a slow-play with any flopped straight, especially a broadway straight. That board is too likely to have hit someone. When you check and it is bet, don't check/call. Put a raise to $4 in there.

As played, I do like the raise to $14. With flopped straights, I'm putting pressure on and hoping someone else caught enough of a piece to play back at me. But I'd like to get my money in there when I have the nuts as there are a lot of cards that can come (15 cards, 10's through A's)that can mess with my hand and either ruin action for me, give me an expensive 2nd best hand, or allow someone to split the pot.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:58 AM

straights are vulnerable to a ton of turn cards, so get the money in now before its too late (to either extract, or before a card that beats you can fall)
Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 AM

Ok good I feel better. Obviously there were a lot of people in the hand and I was wondering if trying to keep some of them in for a 5$ re-raise was better than the PSB. My thinking at the time was if an A or J comes up I am gonna split, and if I am not gonna split that would be the end of the action. Not to mention I could lose a number of ways. It seems you all agree with the PSB.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok good I feel better

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are missing the key advice. The most obvious error in this hand is not leading out at this flop.

I wouldn't say never slowplay straights, but with all these high cards and this many people, there's an excellent chance someone has caught a piece of this flop. A PSB to start.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:52 AM

Well about the flop lead. This is an 8 way pot with me being UTG. With a T-Q-K flop this is not gonna get checked through. That is not even on the radar in an 8 way flop here. I dont think there is anything wrong with check raising the nuts when you are sure there is gonna be a bet. If I was not sure there was gonna be a bet it would be a mistake (let someone draw to that dreaded chop for free), and I would have led I think.

I do think the origional flat call of the raise was a mistake though. I did not think about that much until the poster pointed it out, yep that was bad.

I might be missing something here, I hate defending myself after asking for advice (bad manner I know), but this is what was going through my head.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:38 AM

I would CR here with 8 players behind on an all broadway flop. I would lead on a shorthanded table though.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:42 AM

pot the flop, call any raise.

lead turn.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM

Hi scrapperdog,

Wow, a check/call/raise. I don't think I've ever seen that before. It really screams ... I've got the nuts! But you still got a caller. Do you lead a lot on the flop? I bet at a lot of flops, and I would have made my normal PSB here too and it wouldn't be suspicious because I bet a lot of flops. With this kind of flop I'm looking to be raised. Good job getting all the money in when you are ahead.

Garon
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM

Definitely lead this flop- you are VERY likely to get raised, and that is good.

Remember one reason why Doyle never c/r: If you check raise, they only have one bet in the pot. If you bet, and they raise, they've got two and now they're pretty tied in. That way, when you come over the top (or lead the turn), the pots too big for them to get away. Stack the KQ, KT, QT, TT as soon as you can.