Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what kind of support you prefer
toll free phone 15 24.59%
email 46 75.41%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you a better poker player today then you were yesterday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. Worse, for sure, because I keep trying new things with no real idea of how or why they might work out, and then I get all confused and spewy.

How do you go about getting better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Find one hand you played wrong yesterday. Don't play again until you fully understand what you did wrong. Why you did it, and how to not do it again. Then when you play, keep what you've learned in the forefront of your mind. When implementing the change because second nature, you're ready to fix the next problem.

Becoming a better player, or a better anything, isn't about changing you're whole way of doing things. It's about fixing one problem at a time. Make fixing problems with your game a habit, and you improve greatly.

[ QUOTE ]
but my big problem is that I am really bad at taking things I've considered away from the table and putting them into action. I don't recognise patterns and playing styles well. I am much worse than others here at predicting how opponents will react to my plays, or reading hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to basics. When you review a hand, put villain on a range after every action. At the end, if villain shows up with a hand you don't expect go back and reconsider your ranges. Do this for five hands a day. You'll get better.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I might just not be cut out for poker, which after eight years of consistent winning is a very odd conclusion to draw; but it's what I always expected in fact.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's possible, but you're externalizing the cause. I'd be surprised if you're not capable of being a great player. You need to look inside yourself and ask whether you really want to be a great player though. If you don't want it or there's something else you'd rather do, all talent in the world isn't going to help you.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Guy,

When I have had -BB/100 streaks for long periods of time, albeit not nearly as long runs as you, I can't help but start tilting. Usually in more ways then one. And tilt just kills your win rate. I tilt in lots of ways. I play too much when I'm not 100%. I start playing scared or conversely over aggressively. So the first thing I would suggest is making sure you are not tilting.

I've also found that going back and reading the basic books like Small Stakes Hold Em makes lightbulbs go off in my head. As you get into the more advanced plays and marginal situations, you might forget playing the basics well like finding hidden outs, counting implied odds, etc.

Also I've found that every table I just can't play more than 3 tables well. You might have a different number. But it's important to find that sweet spot. Most of the + side of my win rate seems to come from those really bad players, and so I need to be able to identify them. I can't do that if I play too many tables. Also the better your reads are on players, the better your hand reading is and the easier your decisions become. So, if you haven't tried it, try playing just one or two tables at a time and try to really get some good reads and find out who's spewing money.

Hope that is helpful. Dano
Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM

"
Go back to basics. When you review a hand, put villain on a range after every action. At the end, if villain shows up with a hand you don't expect go back and reconsider your ranges. Do this for five hands a day. You'll get better.
"

umm, i do this every hand at the table, dont you guys?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 PM

I've had the same thing happen, and I haven't recovered yet.

Your poll is rigged. The answer is that you possibly don't suck, but probably do, and you've probably SCKY, so you don't need any encouragement.

I assume you have someone living in that house with you? Good stuff.

Poker is kinda neat in that it's a true C.S. Lewis type of hell thing, where you like come in and leave as you wish, and stay for as long as you want.

Just remember, other than actually playing poker, being a poker player is the nuts. It's the closest thing to being unemployed that you can get without living in poverty.

I'm going to give you advice that I'm going to try to take, when I decide to get good (and therefore get rich). Play less tables, pay more attention to them, and get good seats.

You've probably heard this a few times, but it actually takes discipline to implement it... discipline that I haven't found yet.

Good luck.
--Dave.

edit: fwiw I voted suck/quit, but it totally depends on how badly you want this.

edit: Let me ask you this. I want you to think about playing poker. Who are the regulars at your game and how do they play different types of hands? I can't answer this question, but if you want to make money at this game, you should be able to.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"
"

umm, i do this every hand at the table, dont you guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I doubt were talking about the same thing. If you can create an exact range in the ~5 secs you have to do it at the table for every hand in every situation, then you're clearly beyond this exercise. I suspect most aren't at that point.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM

ok i see what ur saying leader. obv i cant ascribe and exact range and run numbers but i still base my actions on a range.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 PM

Guy, if you don't take a lay off (which is certainly an option), maybe switch up games. Try low buy in SNG's, maybe. Even though the game is totally different, the skill set is similar, plus it will help develop under-used skills for when/if you move back. Every time I've started to feel a little jaded, I've switched it up a bit, and it always seems to work because I get that "Eureka, I get it now!" moment again, which is both good for my skills and my psyche.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fair enuff i get ur point. kinda matters what the rake structure at wpex is tho i think it was a semi-fair question, it is quite a bit higher than say Pstars for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait why does it matter what their rake structure is?

[/ QUOTE ]

why doesnt it to make a comparison from site to site? it determines how many bb/100 im getting in my account each week as rakeback (granted its taken away at the table in theory and if it was less id just earn more from play), but to know my total earnings I need to know my win(loser) rate and how much im getting back in rb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on so if wpx raised their rake it becomes more compelling to play there?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:59 AM

"Try low buy in SNG's, maybe. Even though the game is totally different, the skill set is similar, plus it will help develop under-used s"

rofl. sngs are just like lhe just get ace high, king high or any pair and get to sd, ie go allin.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Try low buy in SNG's, maybe. Even though the game is totally different, the skill set is similar, plus it will help develop under-used s"

rofl. sngs are just like lhe just get ace high, king high or any pair and get to sd, ie go allin.

[/ QUOTE ]Considering how some here advocate playing, what's the diff?