Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what kind of support you prefer
toll free phone 15 24.59%
email 46 75.41%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Advice needed

I am -0.14BB/100 over the 70,000 hands in my database.

I used to win but that was before I spent $30,000 of poker money on the fees and taxes associated with buying a new house. Since then I haven't won a dollar. Well, maybe one. That was a year ago (probably an additional 70,000 hands.)

So let's say I'm 140k hands breakeven across all limits from $15/30 down to $2/4. Yes I've been moving down.

So, advise me please. There's a poll for your comedy voting pleasure, but I'm really sincerely interested to know how you guys would respond to this kind of situation.

Guy.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
I am -0.14BB/100 over the 70,000 hands in my database.

I used to win but that was before I spent $30,000 of poker money on the fees and taxes associated with buying a new house. Since then I haven't won a dollar. Well, maybe one. That was a year ago (probably an additional 70,000 hands.)

So let's say I'm 140k hands breakeven across all limits from $15/30 down to $2/4. Yes I've been moving down.

So, advise me please. There's a poll for your comedy voting pleasure, but I'm really sincerely interested to know how you guys would respond to this kind of situation.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my friend, if it makes you feel any better, I'm breakeven over 41,000 hands, and I'm sticking with it. Your posts help me - stick around!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM

Since I don't know what YSSCKY means I voted to persevere. I'm kind of in the same boat although but not quite as many hands. I had about 40-50k hands in my database and ran about +1.0 but then I wiped my computer so I don't know the exact number. Right now after another 5k I'm back to even. I know how it sucks though to sit there every day and play and look at those numbers staying the same but if you're getting RB then you're making a little cash right?

Anyway, my only advice would be to just stick it out. I think I'd consider getting a coach at this point though.

From your post count it looks like you're spending the time here and I would assume you've read all the main books a number of times over. I'm looking forward to stoxtrader's new book but I'm not going to get my hopes up like I did with King Yao's. Also, I'd do the hand swap (which I'm sure you're also doing.) Other than that I honestly don't know but wish I did because I don't want to play another 50k and be in the same boat as you.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:17 PM

guy you may have remembered me whining all the time about losing. i lost money for well over 200k hands. then, for no reason at all, i started winning. i won 10k over my next 100k hands. so thats 300k hands and not much money.

basically, poker is stupid. embrace rakeback. if you are a pro, you have no choice but to play or find a job.

if you have a job who cares? quit if poker makes you miserable.

the best way to improve results will always be to surround yourself with retards. not, mediocre tags or spewy lags. find legitimate uber fish. only play at tables with multiple monkeys.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the best way to improve results will always be to surround yourself with retards. not, mediocre tags or spewy lags. find legitimate uber fish. only play at tables with multiple monkeys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, this is easier said than done isn't it? I play my poker whoring and I play during the daytime US for the most part so for me I figure that my RB + bonus makes up for the lack of good tables. I don't play at stars because I don't play enough to be a big VIP there and the few times when I did I really didn't see that many juicy tables comparitively. It's nice to see that it's not that unusual to play lots and lots of hands at a breakeven clip.

For me it's all a matter of money not bb/100. If I can make decent money on RB+bonus then I don't care what my bb/100 is. "Although it would help my ego"
Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM

If I were you, I would stop playing LHE. The games are only going to get worse, and it's possible that you aren't a winning player in the current environment. If I did continue, I would pay more attention to table selection so that I was sure I was +EV at the table. Just my $.02.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:29 PM

"For me it's all a matter of money not bb/100. If I can make decent money on RB+bonus then I don't care what my bb/100 is. "Although it would help my ego""

well i said nothing of the sort. however, you should realize that 2bb/100 is exponentially (not linearly) better than .5bb/100.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM

Are you a better poker player today then you were yesterday? You need to be a better player. It isn't going to happen over night. You need to want it, and have the discipline to make it happen. Then take one step toward your goal and then another. Not easy but simple.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM

Im a -.5bb/100 player over my last 200k hands (ouch). I however live strictly off rb while in school, and havent had another source of income since before I registered on 2p2 and stopped just lurking.

I have no plans of stopping playing any time soon or practicing better seat/game selection ( i dont do this at all which certainly is a cause of the above aka wsex). If anything Id rather I played MORE OFTEN and longer hours.

if u dont like it dont play, u say u hardly ever play for very long so Im sure poker is not an important part of ur income nor is it and having moved down I doubt its hampering ur lifestyle with ur loses either. If you are losing money u dont want to be from playing (which i doubt with bonuses ect) stop playing. On the same token there is obviously something about urs (and my play) that makes us not beat the rake. Always something to strive for. if immediate results bother u and u cant get past it, again dont play, Im totally immune at this point but like someone else said it does have an effect on my ego for sure I cant beat the 3/6 and 5/10 games before RB where I think I'm definitely better than most.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM

i would listen to victor

you can try NL but IMO the medium stakes NL games are worse than the medium stakes limit games. 2/4nl on Full Tilt is like me, 4 regulars, and a fish. Plus a lot of the better NL players have moved down and in NL these guys can like run the table and take you out of your element. It's annoying.

Guy,

also not playing for like a month - is that an option?