Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: 66 in the big blind

I would have said bet more on the flop, but with two overs and the flush draw, i doubt he would have folded with a read that the vil can make disciplined laydowns. I wouldn't have pushed the turn though. At some point, you have to know when to get off your small/mid pairs.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As played, I shove. I prefer a check-raise push on the flop and I probably shove pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these are better. I really expected you to check/raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 06:42 PM

Yes but the thing is he's been raising a lot from the button and surely cant always have a hand. Also this flop is about the best flop I could hope for that doesnt contain a 6. Basically im about 80% sure I have the best hand on the flop. I've played with this guy a few times before and he tends not to mess about with big pairs. I think if he had a decent pair he'd put me all in on the flop. So convinced I have the best hand on the flop, the turn is a jack of spades. Obviously not ideal as it's an overcard that possibly could have helped him but if I'm gona get scared of a jack with that much money in the middle I may as well stop playing poker. I was happy no ace or diamond came as it seemed like the most likely way he could take the lead in the hand. So I pushed, unfortuneately the jack made his hand but that's just unlucky. Even so im sure I could have played the hand a lot better but once I got myself into that position after the flop I made my decision I was going to try and take the pot if the turn didnt come an ace, king or diamond. I feel more often than not this philosophy would work out as if the turn came a blank he cant call surely??!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 AM

a couple of thoughts to add - IMHO the problem started because Hero didn't define the hand pre-flop. Calling = no info and then the conundrum post-flop trying to figure out where you are, while the pot is now pricing him in with a wider range. I think you have to raise him pre-flop or fold.

Also, if hero is playing to take 1st (as apposed to surviving to cash) and blinds are going up quickly, IMHO you have to accumulate chips sooner rather than later - another reason to raise Pre Flop at this point in the tourney.

If you are not folding then whether your raise is all-in or not I think depends on whether you think you can outplay him post-flop regardless of what the flop comes. If not I think I want to push.

You can raise him to 600 and still have over 2/3 your chips left. If he doesn't fold you are then going to make a decision on the flop and if you want to continue (say you sense weakness because he hesitates)..you are probably going to get it all in anyway.

Either way I definitely don't call with no info and hoping to catch. If I don't fold then I am taking control and he's either going to fold, call my all-in, or tell me something by responding to my (not all-in) re-raise.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM

I like checking flop and re-evaluating after he bets.

Personally I think I flat call pre and probably check/push on flop.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:44 AM

threebet preflop and then shove on this flop
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM

rdolivaw, I see raising to 600 as basically creating a big pot out of position with a tough hand to play after the flop. He's not going to fold for an extra 300.Raising to 600 is like giving him chips. If anything it's gotta be to 900/1,000 or all in. Still at the time I wasn't crazy about pushing with 66, It probably would have done the job though as it turns out.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:01 PM

First off I think you should have pushed this hand preflop, if he is raising every orbit then you most likley have the best hand right now, your M is getting low and this would have been a great oppurtunity at least add some blinds to your stack. Plus 66 is a very vulnerable holding on most flops, so I would rather to at least get my money in preflop guranteeing me the oppurtunity to see all five cards. Even if he calls your all in I think against a player like that you are very rarley a 4.5-1 dog. As played however, I think I push this flop, it most probably did not hit your opponent, I mean after your bet you left yourself with an M of 8, thats not too good. I would have pushed the flop. As played I think I check the turn, I mean what hands could he have that would justify a pot sized bet call on the flop. My guesses would be A7, A4, 33+ and a flush draw, and maybe even two overcards. I would most probably check fold this turn, even though our M is low, it isn't hopeless, and IMHO, all signs point to we are beat.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not really a hand you want to be seeing a flop with OOP with 3x pot behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... seems like a push preflop because it's such a hard hand to play
Old 03-30-2007, 10:31 AM

In this situation are there any hands I could have in the big blind that I should just smooth call the 300 pre flop? It seems the consensus is that I should be shoving pre flop with my 66, so what hands justify a call here? AA? KK?