Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Default 66 in the big blind

Recently I was playing a small stakes live tournament. Quite early on blinds were 50/100 average stack around 2,300. My stack 2,000, button's stack around 3,000.

I'm in the big blind and it's folded round to the button. The button is quite solid but has raised the button every orbit I think. He makes a raise to 300 (3xbb) sb folds, I have 6d6s and decide to call.

Flop comes 4d 4c 7d

I lead out for a bet of 500 (pot was 650)which the button calls. Now the pot is 1,650 and I have 1,200 behind while the button has around 2,200.

Turn card Js

What is the consensus with this turn card? How should I bet the turn if at all? What hand should I be putting him on?

Thanks in advance, Paddy
Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: 66 in the big blind

As played, I shove. I prefer a check-raise push on the flop and I probably shove pre-flop.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Shove preflop. As played I still shove the turn.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering because I did in fact push on the turn and the button called with KdJd. I wasn't sure if my push on the turn was a technically bad play or if I just got unlucky. Basically when he called the flop I convinced myself that if the turn isnt an ace, king or diamond I was going to push.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:14 PM

Anybody have a range for villian that we are ahead of after the flop call? I guess I can see A,J+ coming along but not often.

I know we have mostly pot committed ourselves at this point but I was just wondering what you guys think we are ahead of here.

FWIW I was thinking shove the flop as well but stumbled when I thought about it from this point of view.

EDIT: I missed the flush draw possibility
Old 03-28-2007, 02:16 PM

any problems raising to 950 and shoving any flop?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 PM

I was very tempted to shove the flop but this screams weakness IMO. I definitely wanted to protect my hand on the flop and felt 500 was the max I could bet before it looked like a steal. The problem with a check raise was that i've played with this guy before and he doesn't tend to c-bet that often when he misses and giving him a free card is a cardinal sin. Against a more aggressive player the check raise is ideal but I couldn't see him betting that flop. I think if i'd moved all in he would have perhaps read weakness and called as he had the flush draw with 2 overcards to the board.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM

In fairness he was priced in on flop. Would he have folded pf?? He surely would have called had you pushed flop.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I shove. I prefer a check-raise push on the flop and I probably shove pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these are better. I really expected you to check/raise the flop.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:41 PM

I think he would have folded pre flop, but I didnt see the need to put all my chips in with 66 so early. The problems started with a great flop for me and him callng my bet on the flop. After that I really didn't want to let go of the hand as I had a large proportion of my stack in the middle. I'm thinking a re raise to 950 pre flop like kniper said may have been the play. Still on a flop like this could the end result ever have been any different?? I think the only way I was winning the hand was getting him to fold pre flop. It's easy to say in hindsight but I should have been a bit braver and protected my big blind more strongly. BTW Not sure if I made this clear but his KJ held and I was knocked out.