Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: The Golf thread

[ QUOTE ]
As for Bethpage, yikes if it plays that hard normally. That's got to be like a six hour round.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's ever taken 6 but I'm pretty confident it's impossible to get around Bethpage in less than 5 unless you're the first group out and all sub-5 handicaps.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the 2002 US Open the USGA damaged some holes with rough as they always do. You should read up and note where the fairway is designed to be on certain holes and see if they have gone back to the original design or continue to farm rough where it wasn't supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
They returned all the fairways to their original width (pre-US Open). They'll probably start growing it again fairly soon though since it's coming back in 09.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM

All the talk about Drivers is hilarious. Some pros don't even carry them. Many, if not most, use them 1-3 times, max, per round.
If you're not a sub-5 handicap, you shouldn't even worry about it, you should carry a 4-wood or loft-wood or lob wedge instead.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for Bethpage, yikes if it plays that hard normally. That's got to be like a six hour round.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's ever taken 6 but I'm pretty confident it's impossible to get around Bethpage in less than 5 unless you're the first group out and all sub-5 handicaps.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminded me of another municipal course clear across the country that recently had a facelift/toughening for an upcoming Open, Torrey Pines. A lot of the regulars have complained that it "ruined" the course because the tourists want to play "the same course the pros do" and would play the full 7500 yards or whatever which often is too much for their level of skill, hence the very long rounds.

I don't know if Bethpage tries to enforce a "you must be <x handicap to play the back tees" policy, which is virtually impossible to do but may get at least some to not bite off more than they can chew.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the talk about Drivers is hilarious. Some pros don't even carry them. Many, if not most, use them 1-3 times, max, per round.
If you're not a sub-5 handicap, you shouldn't even worry about it, you should carry a 4-wood or loft-wood or lob wedge instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason many pros dont carry drivers has much to do w/ how skinny PGA courses are cut 280yd bent 3 woods and how well they hit mid irons. ALL of the pros will be bombing drivers at augusta cause the place is wide open LIKE YOUR LOCAL MUNI (similarites stop there) where you should be bombing drivers as well. if you plan on playing trump nat. at ocean trails you and the pros will leave your driver at home.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested to hear from the resident golf experts on graphite v. steel shafts for irons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graphite shafts aren't good. They give up too much accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This used to be true but isn't nowadays. Graphite shafts in irons are fine for the majority of players.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Limon, most 15+ handicaps can't hit a driver properly or consistently to save their life.

Yes, if you can bomb 280 in middle of fairway consistently, bomb away.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM

I am probably upgrading everything except my wedges this Spring (have Vokey Raws which I love). Tested Cleveland Hi-Bore which I liked but a few more to try. The nicest irons I have tested so far are Mizuno MX-25s.

While I'm at it I may get a new putter. I hate face inserts so a Scotty Cameron is an option. Anyone use the Cicra 62?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limon, most 15+ handicaps can't hit a driver properly or consistently to save their life.

Yes, if you can bomb 280 in middle of fairway consistently, bomb away.

[/ QUOTE ]

n,

Part of the fun of golf is driving. Hence the reason everyone talks about them. Games are supposed to be fun, and driving distance is a sign of masculinity.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

I usually don't understand it either but I had thought maybe there was some new product out there that is amazing

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not technically new, but if you haven't tried to add hybrids to your arsenal, this could be one of the best investments you can make.

If you can't confidently hit a high shot with your 3/4/5 irons, or comfortably hit out of a trap or off a hard-pan surface, you seriously should consider trying out a hybrid.

Long irons are the worst part of my game, and adding a $129 used Adam's Idea 4 iron replacement has probably saved me 2 to 4 strokes per round.