Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Bill gates just adopted greatest poker player in the history of po

[ QUOTE ]
you arent playing with your whole bankroll on the table, we usually advocate 20 buy ins for a level.....if you are playing this parrot i think 3 or 4 buy ins would be plenty, you could wait for AA or KK and fold every other hand and the odds of going bust are pretty slim

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to fold ~99/100 hands to wait for AA or KK. Meaning you've lost 150BBs for every time you stack him. So, stack size matters a lot here. If max buy-in is 100BBs, you aren't likely to win any-time soon. Check my math. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now, if you can buy-in for 1000BBs, waiting for AA or KK will be a good strategy.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you arent playing with your whole bankroll on the table, we usually advocate 20 buy ins for a level.....if you are playing this parrot i think 3 or 4 buy ins would be plenty, you could wait for AA or KK and fold every other hand and the odds of going bust are pretty slim but if you wanted to risk a little more to gain more(higher variance) you could call with more.

The only reason this takes skill out of the equation is because there is only 1 decision to be made push/fold, no hammer of future bets, no putting him on hands and comparing pot equities etc etc.

just like there is less skill playing poker 25BB deep than there is playing 100-200BB deep the rules, situations(stack sizes) and play of your opponents dictates what is the most profitable way to play. If someone is bad it is easier and takes less skill to figure out the way to exploit them.

When they make a mistake this terrible anyone can exploit it and you dont need skill to do it. That being said its not even close to being luck either, you are going in as a massive favorite everytime, you will make a ton of money off the parrot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you see what I am saying? Let me exagerate this to make it real simple. Bill Gates and five of his billionaire friends decide to play the poker game of the century. The each sit down with $1 billion dollars each, the big blind is 2 million. Your total bank roll is $10,000. I don't care how skilled at poker you are and they could all be really really bad (let them all let parrots play for them)you can't play in that game, unless you get very very very very lucky.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you arent playing with your whole bankroll on the table, we usually advocate 20 buy ins for a level.....if you are playing this parrot i think 3 or 4 buy ins would be plenty, you could wait for AA or KK and fold every other hand and the odds of going bust are pretty slim but if you wanted to risk a little more to gain more(higher variance) you could call with more.

The only reason this takes skill out of the equation is because there is only 1 decision to be made push/fold, no hammer of future bets, no putting him on hands and comparing pot equities etc etc.

just like there is less skill playing poker 25BB deep than there is playing 100-200BB deep the rules, situations(stack sizes) and play of your opponents dictates what is the most profitable way to play. If someone is bad it is easier and takes less skill to figure out the way to exploit them.

When they make a mistake this terrible anyone can exploit it and you dont need skill to do it. That being said its not even close to being luck either, you are going in as a massive favorite everytime, you will make a ton of money off the parrot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you see what I am saying? Let me exagerate this to make it real simple. Bill Gates and five of his billionaire friends decide to play the poker game of the century. The each sit down with $1 billion dollars each, the big blind is 2 million. Your total bank roll is $10,000. I don't care how skilled at poker you are and they could all be really really bad (let them all let parrots play for them)you can't play in that game, unless you get very very very very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

you cant sit at a game with less than a big blind, thats ridiculous, if you cant sit at the tables because you dont have enough money for the buy in it doesnt even matter the skill of the players in the game because you have to play a limit within your means, this proves absolutely no point except that you cannot play poker without money. You might as well say tiger woods cant beat a monkey trained in golf if the course rules say you can only use pure gold clubs and the monkey has the only set in existence. You would never try to or care to enter this game so far out of your roll. your argument is ridiculous. we are talking about playing poker here not short stacking a billion dollar buy in game, let alone having 1 BB. The deeper the stacks the bigger my advantage, to me its not money on the table its betting units so as long as i have a roll for it ill beat the game.

obviously if he is playing any random hand you will be calling with a lot wider range than AA and KK but the odds of getting those is 110:1 so since you arent the big blind every hand you can profitably play that way....
Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you see what I am saying? Let me exagerate this to make it real simple. Bill Gates and five of his billionaire friends decide to play the poker game of the century. The each sit down with $1 billion dollars each, the big blind is 2 million. Your total bank roll is $10,000. I don't care how skilled at poker you are and they could all be really really bad (let them all let parrots play for them) you can't play in that game , unless you get very very very very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously. Read what I bolded, and every poker player knows this is true. Your argument is dumb and unrealistic.

[inner monologue] I can't believe I responded to this thread. [/inner monologue]
Old 03-21-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you see what I am saying? Let me exagerate this to make it real simple. Bill Gates and five of his billionaire friends decide to play the poker game of the century. The each sit down with $1 billion dollars each, the big blind is 2 million. Your total bank roll is $10,000. I don't care how skilled at poker you are and they could all be really really bad (let them all let parrots play for them) you can't play in that game , unless you get very very very very lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously. Read what I bolded, and every poker player knows this is true. Your argument is dumb and unrealistic.

[inner monologue] I can't believe I responded to this thread. [/inner monologue]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every poker player knows its true, but it is dumb and unrealistic. Interesting.

Again, and maybe I'm just not being clear on my part, but everybody keeps missing my point. The analogy was an extreme exageration to show how you can almost completely take skill out of poker and replace it with luck if you have the right situation. My only argument has been that poker is a game of skill and luck. The person who ranks high in both areas is going to be the most dominant player. Skill being equal luck will be the determining factor.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM

look man we are professional poker players, we understand this stuff on a much deeper level than you right now, please stop posting this nonsense because some of the newbies who stumble into this forum might believe you. I dont go to your job and smack the broom out your hand now do I.

Re-read all the threads you posted in over the last few days, its not about luck. Do you see why?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Love the broom comment.

You're a poker pro? WOW! Thanks for taking the time to debate with me. I'll get to that level someday.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now here we have a situation where Poker has been reduced to almost pure luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can manipulate the situation such that any game is almost all pure luck. That doesn't mean that in the normal situation it's almost all pure luck. Do you see why?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only argument has been that poker is a game of skill and luck. The person who ranks high in both areas is going to be the most dominant player. Skill being equal luck will be the determining factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you "rank high" in luck? The person with the most rabbit feet wins? I don't think I believe in "luck" the way it seems you do.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Love the broom comment.

You're a poker pro? WOW! Thanks for taking the time to debate with me. I'll get to that level someday.

[/ QUOTE ]
No you won't. You will always be "unlucky," and your skill will always be hidden from the world because you are 3+ standard deviations below the mean in the luck distribution.