Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Bill gates just adopted greatest poker player in the history of poker!

Bill gates just adopted something that can say 2 words.... its a parrot and it says all in for every hand. In a no limit money game the parrot wins all your money you sat down with before you can take all of his bankroll.... over a course of time the parrot rules over all!!!! Parrot doesnt need skill to beat you... he knows his worst odds are 80 20 on a starting hand.... No matter how skilled you are, it takes one unbelieveable run of luck to beat the parrots bankroll before you lose yours.... If the bankroll of one opposing player is insurmountable that makes him far superior to someone with more skill at the game!!!! The mind has thought and now spoken!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Bill gates just adopted greatest poker player in the history of po

in
Old 03-21-2007, 03:55 AM

The guy has a point.

I'm just not sure what it is.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill gates just adopted something that can say 2 words.... its a parrot and it says all in for every hand. In a no limit money game the parrot wins all your money you sat down with before you can take all of his bankroll.... over a course of time the parrot rules over all!!!! Parrot doesnt need skill to beat you... he knows his worst odds are 80 20 on a starting hand.... No matter how skilled you are, it takes one unbelieveable run of luck to beat the parrots bankroll before you lose yours.... If the bankroll of one opposing player is insurmountable that makes him far superior to someone with more skill at the game!!!! The mind has thought and now spoken!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

how about i stack him a couple of times then leave.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:57 AM

"he knows his worst odds are 80 20 on a starting hand"

AA vs A6o= 94% vs 6%

Parrot should get pokerstove.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is IF you stack him. I LOVE IT! What a perfect time for this post. I especially love using a Parrot.

In my post (An interesting take on Poker Pros) everyone was arguing Poker is purely skill in the long run. Now here we have a situation where Poker has been reduced to almost pure luck. You will still have a choice in choosing the hand you go all in with, but after that all you can do is pray and hope for the best. A lot depends too on the size of the blinds, you may be forced to go in with an inferior hand before you are eaten up.

In a no-limit cash game, Bill (or his parrot) would be the most dominant player in the world. Actually, no matter how skilled you are in poker if you are playing with someone who is dominantly "richer" than you, you can't beat them unless you get lucky. And the more money they have than you the luckier you have to get.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That is IF you stack him. I LOVE IT! What a perfect time for this post. I especially love using a Parrot.

In my post (An interesting take on Poker Pros) everyone was arguing Poker is purely skill in the long run. Now here we have a situation where Poker has been reduced to almost pure luck. You will still have a choice in choosing the hand you go all in with, but after that all you can do is pray and hope for the best. A lot depends too on the size of the blinds, you may be forced to go in with an inferior hand before you are eaten up.

In a no-limit cash game, Bill (or his parrot) would be the most dominant player in the world. Actually, no matter how skilled you are in poker if you are playing with someone who is dominantly "richer" than you, you can't beat them unless you get lucky. And the more money they have than you the luckier you have to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok man all of your post show a lack of fundamental understanding of poker.

if he is going all in every hand you can put him on a range of a "random hand" if you only play hands with positive equity against a random hand you will profit over the long run. you can choose to reduce risk even more by only playing hands with a large amount of equity vs his range, and since its a cash game the blinds he steals will in no way come close to making the money he loses back(not to mention you get your stolen blinds back when you stack him).

Yes him going all in constantly PF takes a large amount of skill out of the equation but thats because he is choosing to make such a huge mistake that it doesnt even take skill to exploit profitably(anyone could beat it).

it sounds like you are trying to apply a double or nothing type concept with an unlimited bankroll to poker but it wouldnt work in poker.

Also if there is a max buy in at the table like most this further handicaps the strategy because once i double up a couple of times, he would have to beat the odds many times over to have me covered which is unlikely as he will be a 4 to 1 dog almost always.

If he had the ability to buy in for whatever he wanted and always had me covered, i would just stop at the point where i thought even an 80% chance to win wasnt enough to justify however many BBs i had to risk and walk away. Once you become ultra deep stacked you dont flip for stacks PF much.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok man all of your post show a lack of fundamental understanding of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its more of just a lack of me not getting you to understand exactly what I'm saying.

[ QUOTE ]
if he is going all in every hand you can put him on a range of a "random hand" if you only play hands with positive equity against a random hand you will profit over the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you lose all your money you won't be around for the "long run". All I am saying is no matter how skilled you are at poker unless you have a bank roll on level with those you are playing you can't play at their level, unless you get very very lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes him going all in constantly PF takes a large amount of skill out of the equation but thats because he is choosing to make such a huge mistake that it doesnt even take skill to exploit profitably(anyone could beat it).

[/ QUOTE ]

He finally puts a little luck into the equation!!! And again you can only exploit it profitably if you have the bankroll to do so.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Bill gates just adopted greatest poker player in the history of poker!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes the donk mentality beautifully illustrated.
Cash Game you say [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] really!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 PM

you arent playing with your whole bankroll on the table, we usually advocate 20 buy ins for a level.....if you are playing this parrot i think 3 or 4 buy ins would be plenty, you could wait for AA or KK and fold every other hand and the odds of going bust are pretty slim but if you wanted to risk a little more to gain more(higher variance) you could call with more.

The only reason this takes skill out of the equation is because there is only 1 decision to be made push/fold, no hammer of future bets, no putting him on hands and comparing pot equities etc etc.

just like there is less skill playing poker 25BB deep than there is playing 100-200BB deep the rules, situations(stack sizes) and play of your opponents dictates what is the most profitable way to play. If someone is bad it is easier and takes less skill to figure out the way to exploit them.

When they make a mistake this terrible anyone can exploit it and you dont need skill to do it. That being said its not even close to being luck either, you are going in as a massive favorite everytime, you will make a ton of money off the parrot.