Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Good comeback for tip pressure?

[ QUOTE ]
Might be one of the reasons why many of the regular dealers there are some of the best in the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no kidding. Almost makes up for living in Phoenix. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I know what you mean, though. I'm a rather generous tipper, but when I was in a small room in Tahoe, I felt like a douche compared to the locals. Pretty much the opposite of the Bay, where the non-regular tends to be the big tipper.

[ QUOTE ]
Funny one night I was donking it up at a 3/6 table...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought of doing such a thing myself, but not to the extent you did. Tho' I wonder what ethical lines your deal with the dealer crossed, or at least skirted.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Last night I sat down at a new NL1/2 game with a buncha spring breakers. Like 5 guys who all came in together, plus me and one other fellow. We'd played maybe 8 hands and all had been won by one of the 5 guys. I wasn't paying any attention but the other odd man out to my right looks angry and asks the dealer "have you gotten a single toke since this game started? Has ANYBODY given you ANYTHING?" Dealer looks a little embarrassed to be asked this but shakes his head. Odd man tosses him $1. And the spring breakers got the message and on the next pots they won tossed $2 or $3 each time and basically made up for the previous hands.

I've always thought this (with a little less anger and a few less words) is the only acceptable way to apply any tip pressure to anybody, and only for repeat offenders. "I think that pot deserves at least a dollar tip" and give the dealer $1 from your own stack. No dirty looks, no anger, just take it upon yourself to donate a buck and show the skinflint(s) how they are supposed to behave.

I have noticed the march mad spring breakers are often not being very generous and I heard a couple dealers over in a corner quietly talking about the crappy tokes Saturday night. It's busy and the poker rooms are hopping, though.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought this (with a little less anger and a few less words) is the only acceptable way to apply any tip pressure to anybody, and only for repeat offenders. "I think that pot deserves at least a dollar tip" and give the dealer $1 from your own stack. No dirty looks, no anger, just take it upon yourself to donate a buck and show the skinflint(s) how they are supposed to behave.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the only acceptable time for a player to get involved in this is one of two situations.

1) The player is apparently a newbie who is unfamiliar with the fact tipping is customary, then a gentle mention by another player is acceptable (but don't be trying to embarrass the player -- a quick whisper is fine)

2) You suspect that the player wanted to tip but forgot do to some distraction and again a gentle reminder is all you should consider.

If the player has indicated in any way that they don't want to tip -- Do not argue, do not do anything to try to show the player up. You aren't doing your dealer any favors by creating a negative atmosphere at the table. Do not mutter under your breath about how cheap the player is, just let it go. I appreciate that you want to help me, but this is not really helpful.'d rather not have any arguments or negativity at the table. And I certainly don't want to have to call the floor to tell him that you are being abusive to other players.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kicking someone out for not tipping or advising someone else not to tip is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kicking someone out for not tipping would be a really bad move. Kicking someone out who actively tries to get peopel to not tip so the money will be on the table for him to win is pretty standard (at least at low limits where players are asking what to tip). I would hope any floorman out there would send any player to the curb that would repsond "don't worry about tipping, they make plenty" when asked by a new player what a normal tip is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, if only the (minimum) $100/hr they take off every table was enough to pay their dealers a decent wage we wouldn't have to worrry about any of this
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 AM

On a 10-20 stud in AC they're only taking $80 an hour. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Why not:
"I'd tip more, but I'm still stuck."