Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: NOT MY POST>>>>MUST BE ANSWERED

[ QUOTE ]
Player 1, others have already elaborated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-16-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be a nice guy personally and chop the pot if the other player mucked his cards

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not NEARLY that nice.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes but what if YOU'RE the floor. how would YOU rule this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's a dreadfully unobvious rule, if I were the floor I'd rule it a chop. Tell me where and how any new player to the game is supposed to know this rule? Point to anything in print anywhere in the card room that says you have to table two cards that don't play to make a claim for the pot? If you haven't played >100 hours in a B&M room you've probably never seen such a situation.

I don't much enjoy folks who use nitty rules to try to claim pots they didn't really win. It's a technicality...if the guy says "I call" and then instamucks he's clearly making a claim for the pot and he should get his share. Doing otherwise is unfair to new players who have absolutely no way to learn this rule prior to having it used against them.

Now there are other situations. A couple days ago I saw a showdown where one guy turned over a single ace. Other guy turned over ace-seven, and the first guy mucked. Turns out, the seven didn't play since the board was something like AKT99. Pot was correctly pushed to the only guy who tabled cards and the guy who showed a single ace had no idea until someone at the table opened their mouth that he woulda had half the pot. He wasn't making a claim for the pot, he thought he'd lost and pitched his cards--no, he doesn't deserve a share of the pot. Oddly enough, though, his opponent split the chips and pushed him half...fine with me, but I wouldn't be that generous. On the other hand, if the guy who showed a single ace thought he was going to get half the pot and raised a stir when the whole thing went to the other guy, then I'd be ok with giving him half. I just happen to think you should know what hand you hold, and if you don't table your two cards then you give up the protection of "cards speak".