Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Protein Powder Reviews - Your Input

I eat the stuff from Trader Joe's cuz it's whey cheaper (lol, get it?) and IMHO protein is protein, all that split chain crap or whatever is nonsense.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM

This is what I use. I think I started using it when I was on Atkins years ago, as it's low carb. I either get this "natural" flavor, or the vanilla.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...162&size=l (if you actually want to read the label)
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 AM

Dids,

I think that stuff is garbage.

All,

Dextrose is v v easy to find.

www.trueprotein.com

(They should start paying me. And so should t-nation. Whatev)
Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 AM

For before bed I just got a random bottle of Casein protein...Dont remember the name but it is just a chocolate flavor casein protein bottle so its pretty generic.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 AM

i use gnc cookies and cream flavored whey protein. if you mix it with milk and a bit of nesquick it is incredible and seems to work very well.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:35 PM

Thremp,

Why? What benefits do other ones have. Like I said, I think I went with this one mostly because of the low carbs part.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:51 PM

Is there any benefit for me to use whey protein if I'm fat and trying to lose weight? Like, is it good if i work out a lot to keep muscle?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:07 AM

nation,

Whey protein would be useful while losing weight (fat), for multiple reasons. Like you said, it would help maintain muscle (BCAAs are useful for this too). Also, the thermic effect from eating frequent, but small, protein-filled meals will help burn calories. Third, and indirectly, the new muscle you build will raise your BMR, again burning more calories.

There are even more reasons why protein supplementation is beneficial for fat loss.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 AM

Dids,

Some proteins are higher quality than others. Some use shady methods to achieve protein amounts (Its very prevalent in bars. I think guids knows a little more, but essentially its protein with 0 biological value. Think horse hooves and fingernails). Some protein is higher quality. Like for a nighty night shake, having micellar casein would be goot. For a PWO whey hydrolosate would be much much better. Its probably not horrid at this point if you're doing it mostly for convenience, but at some point you'll likely wanna convert to something that is more well designed. Keep in mind alot of the best tasting stuff isn't the best for a specific purpose. The old Biotest Grow has small amounts of malted milk... I mean WTF? The new Metabolic Drive has a bunch of gibberish in it that isn't really well suited to anything. Whey hydrolosate and micellar casein in the same powder strikes me as pointless. I use it since its easy to add to my order and has goot mouth feel. But I'll likely be purchasing other powders for more specific uses.

I think I probably did more harm than good with that response. But thats most of what I was trying to get at.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:13 AM

What do you guys think about this stuff? I got it at Costco because it wasn't too pricy and I usually give Costco the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the stuff they stock. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was around $30 for about 75 servings (27g protein). It mixes quite well and I enjoy the flavor.