Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: $25NL or $10NL??

Something that made me better was not thinking about the money, I just turn everything into BB. To me and most poker money is just that, its poker money for a hobby and some extra cash on the side. I also think that if you think in this sense, BB as opposed to money, you will be able to move up easier as well. My reasoning is that I know longer think about losing a stack or whatever as "OMG I just lost X amount". Turn things into stacks/BB, it helped me. I think it helps take the sting away from losing $10/$25 or whatever.
Play at a level you are comfortable at also. If you feel uncomfortable playing $25, don't feel like you have to move up just because you are rolled but if you are crushing the $10 then it would be wise, as there isnt much of a difference. It will take you some time to figure out how many buyins a level you need to mentally feel comfortable. When you figure this out it will obviously help you as a poker player as well, because you wont be worrying if you run bad and swing 6 buyins or whatever. Just slowly work a $25 table in with the $10s when you are playing and youll get used to it.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM

IMHO, there are two criteria for moving up:

1) You have the bankroll for the new level (typically 20 buy-ins)

2) Confidence. You feel like you're one of the best players at your current level. Every time you sit down you expect to make money.

If you don't meet both these criteria, you are not ready to move up.

Yeh, people take shots all the time but I'm not a big fan of taking shots unless A) Losing a big chunk of your roll quickly doesn't bother you and isn't going to effect your lifestyle and B) You're not going to be emotionally crushed if it doesn't go well and C) You won't hestiate to drop back if you loose.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Well you certainly have enough of a roll. What you need to do is get confortable at NL25. I suggest just playing one table at a time for a while. What you can do is single table 25, then go back to 4 tabling 10. Try concentrating a bit harder and get a feel for the metagame. All levels seem to play a little different imo, I think you can pick up the tendancies quicker if you just play one or maybe two tables and concentrate on them.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 PM

Im definately not lacking confidence, Ive played and beated $.50/$1 and even $1/$2... Just trying to get back to that level and don't wanna over extend myself. Im gonna move up to $25NL and play 2-3 tables and just play tight and try to get my feet wet at that level
Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Dude you are rolled for 50NL. But I say take a speed shot through 25NL to build confidence and then immediately move to 50NL.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, there are two criteria for moving up:

1) You have the bankroll for the new level (typically 20 buy-ins)

2) Confidence. You feel like you're one of the best players at your current level. Every time you sit down you expect to make money.

If you don't meet both these criteria, you are not ready to move up.

Yeh, people take shots all the time but I'm not a big fan of taking shots unless A) Losing a big chunk of your roll quickly doesn't bother you and isn't going to effect your lifestyle and B) You're not going to be emotionally crushed if it doesn't go well and C) You won't hestiate to drop back if you loose.

[/ QUOTE ]QFT.

I like to spend at least 10k (I know it's not much) hands at a level and earn 20 BI so that I have 20 BI for the next level (I presume I started with 20 BI at a level). I wouldn't count tourney wins in there. I also like to have a feeling that there isn't anyone at my old level that is happy to see me show up (except for morons for whom I have cultivated a donkey image that cannot distinguish between going AI with 15 outs vs. going AI with a gutshot; a draw is a draw to them).

So that's my criteria for moving up, OP.