Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Rake/Profit

[ QUOTE ]
I cant tell if you are trying to be funny or just a Jackass

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly funny...sorry if it didn't work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As a theoretical exercise, sure, $200max with a $6 rake is bad for you.

All the good 1-2NL tables I've played at, though, had a steady flow of either new players (with new money) or old players rebuying (with new money).

If people aren't busting and leaving (opening the seat for new money) or busting and rebuying (adding money to the table), chances are nobody's winning much, and yes everybody (well, at least everybody who wins a pot) is taking a beating from the highway-robbery rake.

The table's not so good and you should look for another. If there's not a reasonable amount of bust-and-leave or bust-and-rebuy, the amount of money at the table is indeed finite. Beat the rake by leaving.

As long as new money keeps coming to the table, though, rake and tips may leave you saying "Awww, I could've made $400 in two hours instead of $350," but you've still done pretty well.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:08 AM

I play 1/2 live with 6 bucks a half hour time charge and manage around a buy-in every 5-7 hours.

Usually I'm not the best at the table either.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if nobody buys back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody EVER rebuys at 1-2NL. Never ever. The amount of money on the table is capped at $2000 because there are 10 seats and the buy-in is $200. Just pour your buy-in down the rake hole and go home now.

If you can't consistently profit at 1-2NL, it's not the rake that's holding you back.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a dumb response and I feel stupider having read it now.

To answer your question... just about every 1/2 NL game out there sucks. 2/5 $500 max or a nice loose 5/10 table is a better way to go. IMO of course
Old 02-17-2006, 11:09 AM

Just what I was thinking
Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM

my 'tractor beam' comment had no intended jackassery
Old 02-17-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if nobody buys back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody EVER rebuys at 1-2NL. Never ever. The amount of money on the table is capped at $2000 because there are 10 seats and the buy-in is $200. Just pour your buy-in down the rake hole and go home now.

If you can't consistently profit at 1-2NL, it's not the rake that's holding you back.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a dumb response and I feel stupider having read it now.

To answer your question... just about every 1/2 NL game out there sucks. 2/5 $500 max or a nice loose 5/10 table is a better way to go. IMO of course

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a good response. Why does everyone have to get on someone who is not totally literal. I always get flamed whenever I am a little sarcastic or ironic.

In the US, the rake does not increase that much in absolute amount between low and mid limits. Therefore the percentage rake is very high at low limits. This is much worse at 2/4 limit than 1/2 NL.

Typical 1/2 NL games are so soft that the rake is very beatable. At higher blinds, the percentage rake is lower. These games may be more profitable due to the higher stakes and lower rake. Live 2/5 and 5/10 NL games also are usually soft. However, if you can't beat 1/2NL, I wouldn't try 2/5NL.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:56 AM

last night, similar cardroom, holding K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in small blind and complete to 2
flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
checks around
turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
i bet 15, one caller
river 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
i bet 50, other guy thinks and raises to 200
i call for less stating, "well, i have the nuts, i guess you probably do too," and flip up my cards.
he replies, "yeah, i do too," and flips over A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]while the guy next to him is saying, "no you don't."

this, my friend, is why 1/2 is very profitable.
depending on your table, you can usually limp, see a lot of flops, and you get paid off when you're holding the nuts.
i'm in the, "man i only made 350, but i could have made 400," category.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM

i gave you your answer, and i'm the [censored] guru, jose.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i gave you your answer, and i'm the [censored] guru, jose.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are the [censored] guru, how come you can't beat the rake on a 1/2NL game?