Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 05:33 PM

Default 1/2 NL Rake/Profit

I recenly cashed out my online roll to take a shot at some 1/2 NL $200 max Live games in Dallas.
The rake at all the rooms I have been to has been 10% up to $5 +$1 high hand.
I have searched for this question throughout this forum & have found some info but never a straight answer...
With this rake structure does ANYONE turn a consistant profit?
The games are generally soft but with this much coming out of every pot, the whole table will go broke in 6 or 7 hours (theoretically speaking) if nobody buys back in.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Rake/Profit

[ QUOTE ]
if nobody buys back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody EVER rebuys at 1-2NL. Never ever. The amount of money on the table is capped at $2000 because there are 10 seats and the buy-in is $200. Just pour your buy-in down the rake hole and go home now.

If you can't consistently profit at 1-2NL, it's not the rake that's holding you back.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if nobody buys back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, nobody EVER rebuys at 1-2NL. Never ever. The amount of money on the table is capped at $2000 because there are 10 seats and the buy-in is $200. Just pour your buy-in down the rake hole and go home now.

If you can't consistently profit at 1-2NL, it's not the rake that's holding you back.

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY? then what is holding us back?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, but it's not the rake. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if nobody buys back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
a tractor beam.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if nobody buys back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
a tractor beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh no wonder.. i kinda figured poor play, but tractor beam sounds more accurate imo.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:30 PM

...and I still don't have a straight answer.
It was simply a theoretical question... not to be taken literally...
I have only put in 15 hours so far, so I dont have an idea of my win rate, and was curious what other players rates were. I am VERY confident in my game & have had a steady rate at 50NL online th past year.(1/2live seems to be about the same caliber of players.)
Why do some people feel the need to be so sarcastic?
I cant tell if you are trying to be funny or just a Jackass
but thanks for the usefull info!(my own sarcasm) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 PM

the rake that the OP is talking about is $5 minimum. they play about 30-35 hands per hour, and they also take $1 for a high hand of the night. all of this means that they're going to be removing about $200/hour from the table (the rake goes up in pots over $50, by the way. The maximum buy-in in this game is $200, but the average buy-in is about $100. There's usually about $1000 on the table.

Assuming the OP never wins the high hand jackpot, he'll have to make $20/hour to beat the rake.

Basically the rake in this live 1-2 is more than double what it is in an online 1-2 game.

So, IMHO, this game isn't very beatable- the house is raking too much money.

Let's also consider this- the players in this game routinely tip the dealer more than $1/hand.

So, the house is taking $200/hour off the table, and, the dealer is getting, in my opinion, about $50/hr.

Now, just think about this, if the average amount of money on the table is $1000, the house and dealer are getting 25% of that in the first hour. Of course players buy back in, but without a significant amount of very bad players or a very large edge for our OP, this game just sucks.

Think about what it would be like if someone was taking 25% of the chips on the table in a 10/20 NL game.

I think that this game is beatable, but only if the OP is the best player in the game, which, if he works on his game, I have no doubt he could be.

I'd rather see him play 2-5 NL, because, the rake is the same, but the amount of money on the table is more than double....$500 max buy-in. Not to mention that there are plenty of easy 2-5 games, but, if the OP is very concerned about building a bankroll, he needs to grind it out a little while longer, and then take his shot at 2-5.

Tex
Old 02-16-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant tell if you are trying to be funny or just a Jackass but thanks for the usefull info!(my own sarcasm) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

When in doubt go with the latter.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 PM

I was not asking you... Because I already knew the answer.... I just wanted someone to tell me the game IS beatable for my own ego & because there is no other game I can afford.