Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Borgata Trip Report - Dinner @ Bobby Flay Steak

My meals in Old Homestead were very good, but I do think it is overpriced. My comp points paid for my meals, so I didn't mind. The best meal I have had was in Ruth Chris' in Times Square, New York City.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 PM

WHY ARE YOU GUYS EATING FILET MIGNON? Why not live a little?

Get a steak with some flavor. Maybe a strip or a ribeye (not a super fatty one) but filet?

When I was working the tables in manhattan the only people that ordered those were the models, the skinny expense acct. guys with good suits, and euro-trash. The darn cut has no flavor whatsoever.

And KOBE filet??? Isn't Filet Minon supposed to be the leanest most tender cut? How is it lean with all that marble-fat running through it. THats why paying top dollar for that cut of meat is really kind of defeating the purpose.

The filet on a cow, or P.I.S.M.O., is actally encased in sort of a big piece of fat inside the animal. Not supposed to be very marbled at all. Kobe and Wagyu beef is great, if not a big pool of grease since the fat liquifies, of course the amount depends on the temperature you order it.

Why do you think that there are always sauces that go with Filet, it needs a sauce. Bernaise (YUCK), Habers (like lugers sauce), e.t.c.

Spoken from a 5 year waiter veteran whom worked at Micahel Jordans (Grand Central) Sparks steakhouse (yes where the mobster was shot) and briefly at Jean George's V (Time Warner) before getting a sales job and makign enough money to leave the biz.

And despite what most tell you, Peter Lugers, in Brooklyn, is the best steak experience in the world. The wine list is GREAT and not overpriced for what your buying, the steak is the first picked when the carcass' come to the district. The waiters make almost $100K a YEAR!! or more!! Down to the "doormen" in $10 vinly jackets that most certainly have a few 9mm or stronger in their waistbands. All that cash...

JC
Old 03-06-2007, 12:25 AM

I had a steak (I think it was a ribeye, but I forget) at Bobby Flay's a month ago and found it to be too spicy for my taste.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 AM

jameson, good read!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoken from a 5 year waiter veteran whom worked at Micahel Jordans (Grand Central) Sparks steakhouse (yes where the mobster was shot) and briefly at Jean George's V (Time Warner) before getting a sales job and makign enough money to leave the biz. JC

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fine pedigree folks. Personally, porterhouse is the top of the steak food chain. Meat cooked on a bone delivers flavor. NY strip next (my fave cut @ Sparks) then rib eye, which to me is a fattier version of mushy old filet.

BTW, I think NOW @ Borgata has some very good noodle dishes. Singapore noodles there are a legit version of this classic Malay dish. Ask for it spicy and order two beers to start.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a steak (I think it was a ribeye, but I forget) at Bobby Flay's a month ago and found it to be too spicy for my taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you went to a place where they advertise their spice rubbed steaks and somehow were dissatisfied when your steak was indeed spicy.... capital

opinion threads make me lol
Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 AM

I've always had a great meal at Old Homestead, but Peter Lugers is the best.