Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Borgata Trip Report - Dinner @ Bobby Flay Steak

Went down to the Borgata Friday night with my friend and we got to the 1/2 NL tables around 10 PM. Played until about 4 AM, winning a little over 300, mainly by bluffing at the right pots. I didn't win any real big hands, but my big pairs did hold up all night. We took a break from poker around 1 AM and headed over to N.O.W. (Noodles of the World). This is the third time I've eaten there, I'm not very impressed. I still think the Taj noodle bar is much better and cheaper.

Headed to the hotel for some sleep and we were back on the tables by 1 PM Saturday. Around 4 PM I suggested that we get reservations at Bobby Flay Steak and eat there before heading home. I am a big fan of Bobby Flay, and cooking in general. He agreed so I took a short break and headed down to the restaurant.

I walk in and the first time available is 10:15, not too bad. I ask about the dress code and she says "business casual". Since I'm wearing a hoodie, jeans and sneakers I ask if I'm OK to get in. She says "sure, no problem". Head back to the tables and end up doubling up when I flop ten's against a turned flush that paired the board. Did my best acting job to get everyone of his chips in.

We got up in time for dinner and headed over. We were seated after about 5 minutes of waiting. Looking over the menu, pricing seems to be standard for a higher end steakhouse. We end up ordering tuna tartare for as an appetizer (very delicious) and we both get the filet as our main course. We also ordered the wild mushroom mashed potatoes with truffle oil, and cauliflower au gratin with goat cheese. Both of those were very good as well. The steak was decent, nothing to call home about. It just didn't have that pop or juiceness of a Sparks steak.

Bill was $142 with tip. We didn't get drinks so it was fairly reasonable. When we walked out we noticed Seablue, the Michael Mena restaurant was not very crowded. I would like to try there in the future. Anyone ever been there.

Also, I noticed there was another steakhouse on the way out called Olde Homestead Steakhouse. Chances are it may be better than Flay's place since your not paying for the name. Anyone been there?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Borgata Trip Report - Dinner @ Bobby Flay Steak

if the olde homestead is a sister restaurant of the one in the meatpacking district of NYC, this is the best steak house in the world. i have been to peter lugers and mortons and smith and wolensky and capitalle grill... by far the best steak, olde homestead. kobe beef burgers... all home made condiments, everything is SUPER sick. disclaimer... i dont know if they are related in any way.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:14 PM

I just googled it and there is an old homestead location in NYC & borgata. Sounds like that will be the plan next time.

I was considering the Kobe beef/lobster last night, but I didn't pull the trigger.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 PM

fwiw, i think homestead is terrible... your mileage may vary

seablue is pretty good if you like the fishes
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 PM

I had the Fillet Mignon at Old Homestead last night in Borgata, it was very good.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 PM

the homestead at borgata is much better than bobby flay. i didnt enjoy the steak at flay although the salmon was delicious despite still having the bones in it. im pretty sure that seablue has the same chefs as bobby flay so if you order a steak itll taste the same.

ps: get the crab legs appetizer at homestead. you wont be disappointed.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Old Homestead SUCKS!!!!!! I have been to allot of the better restaurants in A.C. and Homestead is the worst in my opinion. The service sucked and the food seemed Way over priced for the quality compared to equally priced restaurants in A.C. with better food.

Quote"ps: get the crab legs appetizer at homestead. you wont be disappointed."

Yea right if you wanna pay 7$ for one cold leg!!! By one I mean just one leg not one cluster! Also a soda was like 3.95 for a glass about 6" tall very disappointing!

Thanks for the trip report glad to heart you won.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 AM

I ate there with my friends the last time I was at the Borgata back in September. I thought on the whole the experience was a good one. I had the Pittsburgh-style steak, and I'd have to say it was one of the best steaks I've ever had... but maybe I just got lucky on that particular order. My friends had the filet and enjoyed it, but no super raves about it.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had the Pittsburgh-style steak, and I'd have to say it was one of the best steaks I've ever had... but maybe I just got lucky on that particular order. My friends had the filet and enjoyed it, but no super raves about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BigJohn, was that at Bobby Flay or Old Homestead?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 AM

quote"I ate there with my friends the last time I was at the Borgata back in September. I thought on the whole the experience was a good one. I had the Pittsburgh-style steak, and I'd have to say it was one of the best steaks I've ever had... but maybe I just got lucky on that particular order. My friends had the filet and enjoyed it, but no super raves about it. "

That is my point exactly for 50$+ for a steak it was good but nothing to rave about. I can go to the Road house or Outback and and get a "decent steak" for 17$. Flay's and Ruth's Chris is much better imho. When I leave there I can say yes I had a great steak and it was 150$ for my meal.
It may be that I just had one bad experience there but I have also seen a few other's here report the same about Homestead. To each his own gl in A.C.!!!!