Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: AK on the bubble

I didn't notice the minbet. I agree. Push a little harder preflop. With the blinds that big and that few people left, just taking them should make you satisfied. Whittling down the SB is advantagous for several reasons.

1) He can do less damage to you on future hands.
2) It theoretically forces him to make a move sooner, lest he get whittled away completely. His pushing range widens and you can call with things respectable.
3) The BB will also be more and more motivated to attack him. which is good for you.

Postflop is more complicated since your minbet preflop lets him call with a wider range of hands. This is essnetially a c-bet(bluff)/fold or a check behind. If he does anything besides fold you should be done with the hand. Live to fight another day. Course this is without reads.

Don't post results. Bubbling sucks.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 PM

i understand the desire for some action with this premium hand but I think you just have to push and hope to get called by AQ or AJ.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 PM

I agreed. I should have pushed harder preflop this late in the game... what I wanted was heads up against a dominated hand like AQ or something like that and just take the + odds roll.

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop is more complicated since your minbet preflop lets him call with a wider range of hands. This is essnetially a c-bet(bluff)/fold or a check behind. If he does anything besides fold you should be done with the hand. Live to fight another day. Course this is without reads.

Don't post results. Bubbling sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at that point, I considered myself pretty pot committed... if I would have folded, I would only have about 12k in chips left. I couldn't afford to lose to a bluff and I considered that even if he had a pair, I still possibly had 6 outs... course, if he had trips, I was drawing nearly dead.

And yes, thanks... I will not post results in the future. Should I just post the hand to the river without revealing the villian's hand?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand the desire for some action with this premium hand but I think you just have to push and hope to get called by AQ or AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... you're entirely right. That late in the game, I should have been satisfied with taking the blinds if everyone had just folded around me.

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM

I read a post in the archive recently which resonated with me. It pointed out that at this stage you aren't looking to go to SD and win lots of chips. All you should be doing is winning the blinds. So you should be shoving, and if you get called and AK holds up sobeit. But even against a loose callers range, miniraising or 3BB raising PF puts you in a position where you are taking a 35-50% chance of losing. The reason for the shove is to make the most of your fold equity and minimise the chance of losing when the flop hits villain.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM

I didn't really read the whole thing. But you have 9 bb's and an AK. Push preflop.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Simplest push ever. You're over-thinking this situation too much (not that I read everything you wrote, but you wrote enough to let me know you're over-thinking this). Its easy.

AK loves 5 cards. The pot is large compared to your stack (I push this all the way up to 15BBs or so). PUSH PF.

If you happen to mistakenly minraise, push flop no matter what comes.