Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Semibluff free showdown?

This is a pretty standard play IMO. Too many good things happen with this turn raise (Villain folds a better hand; villain folds a hand with outs; you could be getting value with your nut-no-pair hand from a draw as well) to not make this play IMO.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 PM

BY THE WAY THIS IS THE EASIEST 3BET EVER FOR VILLAIN WITH ANY TWO CARDS
Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 PM

This is standard for me when I have a better feel for the table. 14 hands just ain't enough for me.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 PM

gehrig,

seems like a pretty expensive bluff to me for villain, considering they'll also probably bet the river.

and it wouldn't be easy for me, fwiw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bbbushu
Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 PM

whats ur turn play as hero here gehrig?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BY THE WAY THIS IS THE EASIEST 3BET EVER FOR VILLAIN WITH ANY TWO CARDS

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement makes no sense to me. Even if it were theoretically true, noboby plays like this so it doesnt matter.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 AM

I like it. Biggest reason?
His stats + the call from the SB.

When a nitty TAG calls from the small blind, it almost always means the following.

They have a hand that wasnt quite worthy of a 3-bet, but may have a hand as good as you, and are planning to play back at you on boards likely to miss you.
Seriously against some opponents their intentions with a SB call are so transparent I dont even continuation bet heads up on many flops.

Unfortunatly this range includes pocket pairs and a few ace high cards. My guess are suited broadway cards + some low-medium pocket pairs. Cards like T9s maybe too.

I think youre ahead often enough to do this raise, also you are unlikely to get 3-bet by an ace given his stats.
You may occasionally fold a pocket pair and have plenty of outs if he has one.

Another reason: You make people fear the ace because they know you are either likely to have one or likely to bluff it. It can get them to play passive once it falls, giving you free shots at draws.
Making plays like this are also for your table image. Players on average call too much ,so strategic bluffs which are 0 EV that induce them to call down more in the future is a good thing.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 AM

This line is fine versus a loose loose donk, and awful here. He has a J a ton and you get owned. Sometimes he has an Ace and you still get owned. Sometimes he folds 66-99 but there are so many more jack and ace hands that it's just not worth fighting. Fold.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This line is fine versus a loose loose donk, and awful here. He has a J a ton and you get owned. Sometimes he has an Ace and you still get owned. Sometimes he folds 66-99 but there are so many more jack and ace hands that it's just not worth fighting. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it even less against a loose donk because they never fold any pair against me ever.

Anyway, we have 14 hands on him which basically means nothing. Even 80/60/2 fishtards sometimes fold a few hands in a row and sometimes 20/12/1 nits get more hands than normal. Maybe he'll fold 66-99 (maybe). If he has a flush draw then he's got a billion outs. If he has an Ace or Jack, well then he has an Ace or a Jack.

I would fold pretty easily here, if for some reason I felt compelled to probably show this down I think I'd just call down.